zero_it

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2000
Here's the response I got from the new public use guy for Tahuya:

"We are closing the Tin Mine Trail to all users not just ORV's. This closure is not permanent, it is a
temporary closure until we (Meaning DNR/Tahuya Focus Group) can come up with a trail design that will eleveate sediment delivery to the adjacent stream. There will need to be a plan, and a funding source to build this new trail. We have had several biologist concerened about water quality issues with this trail. I will not support a trail that is not environmentally sustainable. I hope you can understand my responsibility to the land, users, and the environment.
Sincerely, Jesse Sims"

So it's water; basically the same difficult issue our sport has been dealing with for the last 10 years or so. This new approach of "close the trail and then figure out how to fix it" is kind of odd. I like to think that the land managers and/or trail users have an opportunity to resolve a water quality concern within some reasonable timeframe after it's been identified.

Tahuya Rat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
I had pretty much the same reply from Jesse, and have heard from a fellow member of the focus group that there might be some merit to it. The first complaints I am aware of came from Dave Hiatt. This one may be better off replacing lost milage somewhere else on the mountain, I really don't know. Outside of camping at the horse camp 1/2 way up one weekend when I was re routing part of Wildcat Trail, I've only been there a couple times as it's just packed with peddlers, pedestrians and equestrians. I figure as long as i'm not putting knobby tracks on their backs there, they stay away from Tahuya. We have another meeting in February, maybe we'll know more then.
I'm mostly hoping to get a break from the logging in the Tahuya, seems like the whole damn forest "ripened" all at once, and some of the most scenic (lush ferns, etc.) areas are now exposed and dry out immediately as soon as the rain lets up.
Watching this as an ongoing process is a grim reminder that we are for the most part restricted to "working" forests, meaning that there's only trails available for us to ride when the forest isn't being felled on top of them.

Tod

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2002
Tahuya Rat said:
Watching this as an ongoing process is a grim reminder that we are for the most part restricted to "working" forests, meaning that there's only trails available for us to ride when the forest isn't being felled on top of them.

The sad part is some "working forests" are working harder than others. DNR land in King County (no ORV usage) does't seem to be getting cut as hard as the forests with ORV access. This way the DNR can still meet target harvests, mantain sustainable yield forestry practices as a whole entity and at the same time keep the tree huggers off their back.

rmrider125

Jan 13, 2006
does anybody know what the status of the shelton riding area is? i have heard that it was closed, but i dont know for sure whats going on there.
NICK$

zero_it

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2000
The land surrounding the Shelton Airport and Mason County Fairgrounds is primarily privately owned land. Green Diamond (formerly Simpson) is the timber copmany that owns most of the land there. The Port of Shelton owns a small portion immediately adjacent to the fairgrounds. Green Diamond's policy is that only members of the Puget Sound Enduro Riders are to have access via ORV's to their property. The Port has allowed public ORV use on their little chunk of land in the past, but recently posted the area closed. Bottom line - Shelton is closed to bikes unless you are a card-carrying member of the PSER. Get more details at the NMA website.

Green Mtn. is a great place to ride dirt bikes. The trails are nice, most is real single-track, no whoops and essentially no quads - it's a great alternative to Tahuya. In the 1960's and early 70's the Sparkplug Enduro ran through there. Many of the trails there (including the Tin Mine Trail) are very old and were originally built by motorcyclists. We need to continue enjoying riding there and not get run off by the mountain bikes.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom