SoFlo

Jul 31, 2005
Just wondering if there are any 2 strokes out there that are like the XR400 in terms of being reliable and never needing too much work. Maybe something like KTM's 300 and 380, a CR500, a KDX200 and 220? I ride an RM250 now, and it's alot of fun, but a new topend just went on me, and I'm kinda thinking about sacrificing a little performance for a bike that never stops.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
The KDX200/220 have legendary reliability. Surprisingly, the GasGas EC300 is a very reliable bike. One guy I know got over 1000 hours out of a top end. That's five years of riding about 40 or so weeks a year.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
What bikes do you like? Enduro two-strokes in general are pretty reliable. While I am biased towards GasGas bikes, there is a lot of truth to the reliability claims. Check out www.smackovermotorsports.com for more info on Gassers. The KTM EXC line is also pretty reliable as far as two-strokes go. Two-strokes will still need new reeds and top ends every once in awhile, but you can usually get away with atleast two seasons out of racers like the KTM and GasGas bikes. KDXs can go forever if not abused. If you want reliability, look at the KDX, it's tough to beat.

If you want a little more performance, look at the KTM300EXC or GasGas EC300. These bikes will run with anything off-road, but require less maitenance than a motocross bike.

*KISSofDEATH*

Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 1, 2006
SoFlo said:
I just don't like the color green.

Get different plastics

SoFlo

Jul 31, 2005
Which between the 300 and 380 would be more reliable? And I'm coming off a 250, so a KDX would probably feel a little slow. I can do topends and reeds, all that stuff, but what I'm talking about more is something going with the crank, or electrical problems, I guess that kinda stuff.
I may end up keeping my RM250 and just keep trying to get it running really good, but something like a KDX is also sounding good. Those KDX's also have green frames, don't like that. But I guess if the bike was good I wouldn't have to worry about it.
I've heard that CR500's don't take too much maintainence. But I'm not really worried too much about maintainence, it's more lf the bike being hard to start, fouling a plug, having c-clips break, weird electical problems. But I guess any bike can be tuned good or bad, so that's why I'm saying that I will probably keep my RM and keep trying to get it running better. I've gotten the jetting much better, but the two c-clips break on a new topend leaving me with a big bill to repair the cylinder, and to split the cases looking for peices of clip.

michigan

Mar 9, 2001
Just because your '96 needs a top end doesn't mean an RM250 is an unreliable bike. I've always ridden mx two-strokes, and have riding buddies that ride dedicated woods bikes. The most reliable ones are always the ones that are best taken care of.

In other words, reliability is mostly a result of the owner rather than the bike.

When fluids are fresh, bearings are clean and greased, and fasteners are checked and torqued, the bike will be reliable.

I don't think any bike was made to allow an owner to neglect basic maintenance.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
It think you'd be hard pressed to run a CR500 hard enough to where it needed maintenance at the same level as any 250. It's a very sorted out bike and is only as scary as you let the right hand make it. I know for a fact that Wardy (DRN's Wardy) MIGHT clean an air filter if he remembers but not much else and he hold a #1 plate so the bike gets plenty of track time at higher speeds than the vast majority of people on DRN could show it.

michigan

Mar 9, 2001
My 500 needed more maintenance than any of my 250s.
Or maybe is was just that riding it made me too tired to work on it. Either way, I'm glad its gone and I wouldn't recommend one to anyone... unless it was an AF or a T2.

SoFlo

Jul 31, 2005
Nah, I'm good with maintainence, the topend that went was 10 hours old, I don't know what happened, somehow the c-clips broke, though they were seated perfect and pointed down. Cleaning airfilters and changing oil and tightening the chain and lubing things is fun stuff for a Saturday to me. What I don't like is going riding and the bike breaking down on me, not starting, funny business like that. Right now I'm thinking of keeping my RM and just keep working bugs out till it's good to go.

SoFlo

Jul 31, 2005
headbanger said:
A GasGas 300 is what your looking for, better suspension & no special kicking (TDC) stuff.
Good Luck!

I've never seen one of those for sale though, I'll try and keep an eye open for one though, thanks. So I'll keep an eye for the KTM's and GasGas's 300's, or a CR500. If not, I'll work the bugs outta my 250 and I'm sure it'll be just as reliable as any bike. Thanks everyone.

CR500DAN

Apr 29, 2006
The CR500 is a brilliant realiable machine, it is always a challenge and stimulates its rider. I like riding my CR250 when I want less thrills, but the 500 is an amazing beast which is best ridden after strong coffee.

fldave1

Mar 7, 2006
My CR500 is one of the most reliable dirt bikes I have ever owned and I have had a bunch. The only thing it requires is some strong hands to hold on. It will tire you out just for that reason. Great all around bike.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
The CR500 is second to only the XR's as far as reliability goes. What do you think ruled the desert before the xr600/650 came along.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom