schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
anybody have any tips on how to get those pesky circlips in?

so far, I've bene using a screwdriver and a pair of nedlenose pliers to push them in.

got a new set of circlips yesterday, so that should help.

not that it matters, but the bike is a 1982 cr480r

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Patients. You should have been around for the flat spring washers, I think it was wiseco's idea! Finger nails and a small screwdriver. Most of the time, I use the small screwdriver to hold the clip in, and roll the rest in with my finger and nail. Fortunately for you, you probably have the biggest clips in the dirt. Try a pw50 sometime?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I slide one end just into the piston, then get a small straight pic to help compress and guide the clip to the piston. Once it's inside the pin bore grab a socket that fits inside and use that to push it in. A tap with a hammer will ensure it seats, be careful not to let the rod take any force from tapping it in.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Joe, I really do not believe it is a good idea pushing a circlip in with a hammer. An eyeglass screwdriver works pretty good, you roll it right in with a little pressure. No hammer please! I suppose after its in you could finish by using a socket. Get a trouble light and see that its seated. Put the opening up or down, never sideways, it will come out! And if all else fails, check this out and get back to us, http://www.accu-products.com/accu-products/c-clipper-circlip-installation-tool/prod_3288.html

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
That's what I meant WFFR. Once its started you can usually push it in easily with a small socket. I like to use a LIGHT tap to ensure they seat as I've seen several come out. I'm not sure if they were improperly seated or installed with the gap sideways, either way they can really hammer an engine, lol.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I just get REAL nervous when I hear engine and hammer in the same sentence!!!! It is no automobile, hide the hammers! Nothing in there needs that much shock, knowledge and patients yes!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Plastic around a hay bale? I have yet to see a bale with anything other that twine around it.

You Kalyfurniay people are weird.

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
wow, this has become a discussion about hay bales...

I got 'em in no problem, everything seated great and the bike runs good!

on the not of circlips falling into the crankcase, i've got a story.

this cr480r was making a pinging noise, but only when you gave it about 1/2 throttle and beyond. I was going to put a new crank in, only to discover a small bolt and nut, not even belonging on the bike anywhere, in the bottom of the crankcase!

it was just big enough to where above half throttle, the crank would scrape on the nut.

I removed it, and after putting the whole bike and engine back together, the noise is gone!

:P

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
schmanman said:

this cr480r was making a pinging noise, but only when you gave it about 1/2 throttle and beyond. I was going to put a new crank in, only to discover a small bolt and nut, not even belonging on the bike anywhere, in the bottom of the crankcase!

it was just big enough to where above half throttle, the crank would scrape on the nut.

I removed it, and after putting the whole bike and engine back together, the noise is gone!

holy crap.. Good stuff.

But you really have to understand, every thread on here usually takes on a life of it's own, some just die really quick.

I'm sure you recall the thread about bullet proof fenders..

This forum really is a living thing. Ugly as hell, but alive.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
schmanman said:

this cr480r was making a pinging noise, but only when you gave it about 1/2 throttle and beyond. I was going to put a new crank in, only to discover a small bolt and nut, not even belonging on the bike anywhere, in the bottom of the crankcase! it was just big enough to where above half throttle, the crank would scrape on the nut.

Nice! Where did the bike come from? I have a friend, addicted to old rm's, he bought a partially restored 78 rm125, off fleabay. It would not start, no compression. Off comes the cylinder and the piston and rings are seized. But the cylinder is freshly bored and honed?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
And then there was this time when we were getting ready to go to the Sacramento mile and I was doing a top end on my Triumph 750 twin. We had to be in Sacramento which is 300 miles to the north the next day for a national. I had the head and cylinder off of the bike and was just getting ready to assemble it when my wife came out into the shop and said. "Are you coming in sometime tonight?" It was about 1:00 O'clock in the morning and I guess there wasn't anything good on tv so she was bored.

She was eating one of those li'l miniature Tootsie Rolls at the time and when I told her I still had a couple of hours of work left. In her disgust, she wadded up the Tootsie Roll wrapper and tossed it at me. Yep! you guessed it. :nod: The Tootsie Roll wrapper bounced off of my forehead and went right into the bottom end of my engine. :yikes: We looked at each other and without a word, she turned and walked back into the house.

Of course, it went down into the oil under the crankshaft and disappeared from sight. I spent about an hour trying to fish that damn wrapper out of my crankcase and finally after fashioning a piece of welding rod as a hook I was able to retrieve it and finish re-assembling the miler at about 0:too early in the morning.

We made it to the race the next day and I don't even remember how we did but, we still giggle about the Tootsie Roll wrapper incident til this day. :laugh:

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
yep, he bought the bike in the early 90's at a swap meet in detroit.

the newest orv sitcker on it to this day is 1995, when he was riding it at silver lake and got saind in the airbox. as you can imagine, the piston and bore did'nt really like that.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom