Birken Vogt

Apr 5, 2002
Seems to me most DOT tires are too much rubber and not enough open space. I know I took mine off the rear of my XR600 after the first ride. Is there a tire that is just like a dirt knobby but street legal (front especially)? Or is there some regulation that prevents this?

Birken

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Haven't had a dualsport in a while, but the Metzler Unicross front tire can be had with a DOT stamp.

Some of the Pirelli DOT knobbies are also pretty good.

IMO, many knobbies could pass the DOT tests, but the tire manufacturers do not want to pay the extra cost for DOT testing. Also, the makers probably don't want any extra liability in case of an accident or injury.

If you have a dirt oriented dual sport and don't need a DOT stamp, the Michelin M-12 is a real knobbie that holds up well. The rear has stiff sidewalls and is pretty good if you run low psi in the dirt. The front is not as grippy as some other tires, though.

Last edited:

bte

~SPONSOR~
May 1, 2001
I think this is what you are looking for.
Take a look at the Pirelli front tires
MT32
MT16
MT450
MT18
MT83 Scorpion (now the Scorpion Pro)
Are all DOT approved, and are all a.k.a. off-road tires.

Hope that helps.
brown

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
IMHO - YZMAN hit the nail on this one guys! Kenda 760 Track Master front and rear!! ALOT of MXers are even using on the tracks - AWESOME tire, even for the big bore stuff!!
Like he said, DIRT CHEAP TOO!! Go to Chaparral-racing.com and price them out! A true DIRT TIRE/752 clone with a DOT STAMP!

cheff

Apr 22, 2004
I just put on a Michelin Baja on the rear. It is a true desert tire, It is loud and it took little over 100 miles to become stable on the road. But off-road this tire shines! it is so stiff I bet you could ride it flat. It is a great match for the big bikes like my xr650L

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
I cant wait til the tires on mine wear out, so i can get a set of Kenda trakmaster II K-760, i believe they are the D-752 knockoffs youre talking about. The Kendas are big thick, and look anything but dualsport, and i know im not payin $60 a tire, i'll run 'em bald before i pay that.

Top Bottom