Anyone else purchase the 2006 MXDN videos?

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I spent the $10 because I didn't want to hear any details before I saw the races.

I watched the MX1/MX2 race last night on my HTPC which is connected to my 61" DLP and home AV receiver.

Some of the race wasn't that bad, but the movie studdered like 1000 times and looked like complete crap. I wasn't streaming the video, it was off my hardrive. It's encoded at 700k using mickeysofts incredibly horrible DRM for copyright protection.

I am still getting the final two races, but I couldn't believe how horrible the video quality (the constant studdering) was, and the audio was half-assed too. They have the race on the left channel, and the commentators on the right.

I guess $10 is worth it no matter what, but there are some parts of the video that are really pretty good, and the rest is just hard on the eyes due to the video studdering (the audio is never off).

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The video was made (resolution) to be watched on a monitor, lol. Blow it up, it would look like crap. It wasn't intended to be redisplayed on a TV. As it was, the quality was fine, sure better than not seeing it at all. And for $10? pfft. No brainer.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I agree with the $10, that's why I didn't hesitate spending it. 1280x720 on my DLP isn't "blowing it up" any more than watching it on my 1920x1200 LCD I have on my PC. I was talking about the studdering of the video. Most of the race looked pretty decent except for the studdering, IE the video would pretty much stop a ton of times. That's what I am trying to say. A 700k WMV has plenty of room for a half-way decent video without studdering.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Sure it's blowing it up ... it was meant to be viewed much smaller than that. It still looks decent on my 24" at 1900x1200 when the window is around 600 wide. You seem to think it's like PPV on your DVR?

Studdering, yup... there is some. It was better than "half way decent".

Your option was to spend that $10 on a Big Mac and Fries and not watch it :p

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Okies got it, It studdered at full screen but if I left it at the size that it came up as it was fine. Though I still have to watch the last race.... two more hours of download. :yikes:

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
There's way more than "some" studdering, and I am not arguing the fact that $10 is a small price to pay(why you keep bringing that up, I don't know), even for horrible quality (studdering). However, there's no reason that a 700k video would have all that studdering, regardless of scaling, or 1:1. It's probably how they encoded it.

When did I say I thought it was like PPV and DVR? I don't understand this.

Basically, I guess what I was really asking, is if anyone else experienced the studdering. And now I know it's not just me, but the clips.

berm buster

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2001
I agree with the bad quality of the video.
I ordered it and downloaded it to my laptop, and then played it back, when the file first opens,the size is not much bigger than the screen on a cell phone.

It looked OK, but it was too hard to watch, when I blew it up to full screen, it was very hard to watch.

As far as the racing, it was worth seeing all of the races.
I think that the track, was one of the best that I have seen
for a Des Nation event.
I didnt realize that Stephan Everts was that fast!
Ryan Villapoto was flying, and so was Bubba
They did the US Team proud.
Way to go U.S.A.

Berm buster

Top Bottom