Anyone flip around the rear tire?

keithb7

Feb 5, 2005
My CR265 has a habit of going through rear tires pretty quickly. The forward edge of the knobs get ripped up pretty good in the terrain that I ride in here in Kamloops. The rearward side of the knobbies look very good. I was thinking of pulling the tire off the rim and re-installing it backwards so the rear side of the knobbies are now on the forward biting-in side. The question I have is the tires are marked with arrows pointing toward the direction of travel. ( as most tires do). What have I got to loose, or risk by turning the tire around on the rim?

Besides of the course all the swearing, sweating, frustration, and tube pinching, throwing of tire spoons, and 1/2 bottle of advil for my back....

Keith

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
The downside is that once you put the worn edge backwards, you will not be able to stop as fast! :)

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
I can't justify new tires near as much now that I'm in college, so mine definetly get rotated. I dont use directional tires so I dont know how well that'll work for you. Give it a try, see what happens.

VB Racing

~SPONSOR~
Jan 26, 2004
FYI michelin starcross tires are made to be reversed when they are worn, I am using them this season, and LOVE them!!!

Dave

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I always flip my back tire. But my current bike has Bridgestone 402's. The back tire is wearing so fast I probably won't bother with flipping it. Probably going to switch to Pirelli or Michelin.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
put my tire on backwards ............................

so when its time to flip it i can say..... " :nod: i cant wait to see how this thing hooks up" instead of " :bang: this POS sure did wear out fast"

:rotfl:

kxguy967

Damn Yankees
Feb 16, 2005
i was doing a hare scramble race this morning and was wondering the same exact thing. i guess this answers my question.

Top Bottom