ColoradoRay

Sponsoring Member
Oct 6, 2003
I am currently in the process of relocating from Denver to the Fresno area and am interested in any MX info anyone from the area may have. My wife, my 11yo and myself all ride mx and have started racing. Any info on tracks and race org is greatly appreiated. I will be somewhere east of Fresno between Tollhouse and Squaw Valley.
Ray

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Hey,

I just moved from Fresno a few months ago. Lived there for 5 years. There are a few MX tracks nearby, but none in Fresno. Hanford Cycle Park, and the Madera Fairgrounds are the two closest. Not sure what kind of series they have. Hanford is your best bet, though, as I rarely saw anyone riding the track at the Madera Fairgrounds (I drove by it a lot when I was commuting).

But if you're at all into trail riding, there's some of the best riding in CA only an hour north, right near Yosemite. It's called Miami Creek. There's about 80 miles of singletrack & fire roads. I miss it, but still have riding buddies there & plan on hitting it a few times a year. And for some reason, there's hardly ever anyone there. I love that place.

There's a Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki/Suzuki dealer in Fresno, Clawson Honda, and they're much like any other dealer. They'll have info on the local MX series. There's also a kTm/Yamaha/Kawasaki dealer, Wilsons, they're a little less desireable. Then there's a Cycle Gear store. Thats where I got all my stuff that wasn't worth mail ordering. And they're pretty nice there.

If you have any questions about the area, give me a holler.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I live in Modesto (2 hours North of Fresno) and there's all kinds of great riding in your vicinity. Clear Creek (Near Coalinga off I-5) is one of my favorites and that would be about 2 hours from you or less. Elkins Flat is about 3.5 hours North, Deer Creek about 3 hours NE, Stonyford is 5 hours North near the Maxwell exit off I-5. Then there's Hollister Hills about 1.5 hours West of you. Carnegie is about 2 hours NW of you in Livermore/Tracy.

I've never rode at Miami Creek!! Dang!

russ95678

Aug 6, 2002
And don't forget south. 3-4 hours you've got the desert (california city/mojave area) off of SR-52 with some kick-butt fun, and the los padres forest before LA (gorman and surounding area) off of I-5.

Ed Silva

May 17, 2002
Zio
Is Miami Creek a very good place to camp at ? Does it have any trees to camp by & any fire pits?
I am in the bay area but have daughters & son-in laws that live in the valley and was thinking of
having a family camp outthere, the guys all ride but the women would sit and relax. When I go to
places that are nice for them too we get to go more often if you know what I mean....
thanks for any info...............ED

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Ed,

There are two campgrounds. Both have fire rings, a toilet and a picnic bench. That's about it. No running water. There is the creek, but it's not actually near the campgrounds. And there are lots and lots of trees. Big ones. No need to bring your own shade.

We camped there once for a weekend. It's quiet, & we were the only ones there, other than the occasional ranger. That was in October, and it got pretty cold at night. It's around 4000 feet.

Otherwise, there's a nice town nearby (within 10 minutes) with nice restaurants and lodging.

Let me know if you have more questions!

l8-apex

Jan 4, 2005
Ray,
I live in Fresno. I just started riding dirtbikes recently (been riding sport bikes and roadracing for many many years). I can't believe I waited so long to try dirt, it's a blast! I got myself a YZ125 and I also just started my 11 year old son on a KLX110. My dealer of choice is Wilson's (KTM, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Ducati). I've purchased 8 bikes from them over the past 7 years and had nothing but the best experience with them. Others in town prefer Clawson's. Either of them have all the scoop on the local MX scene. Flat track racing also seems to be pretty big in the area.

Welcome to Fresno!

ColoradoRay

Sponsoring Member
Oct 6, 2003
Thanks for the info guys. I am currently looking at houses between Tollhouse and Squaw Valley. Hope to be in the area early summer, unless we can get out of here earlier. Bet you haven't heard of many wanting to flee Colorado for California?!

Flat track racing? Good lord, I can't let my 11yo hear that, I'll be buying more bikes and we already have 7!

Ray

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I've seen open practices, can't remember when. The track looks good enough to me. No huge triples, maybe just doubles & tables, some big bowl turns, etc. Looks to be groomed at least occasionally. But honestly- this is what I've gathered while passing it at 70mph on Hwy 99. I fi lived in Hollister, I'd want to give it a try as opposed to driving to Club Moto.

Top Bottom