justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
We have in the past talked about a trip to Colorado or Utah. Is anyone up to this kind of trip? I am very intertested in doing something like this. I figure this summer is out. What time of year works best. How many days? Whose interested?I can drive and haul three others and their bikes.

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
I'm not sure about this summer, but have high hopes for next year. I have taken around 10 Colo. trips and not only loved the trails, but it's 102 here and 80 there. Four days riding wears me out and more isn't that much fun. Haven't tried taking a day off, but that might help. The rampart range/rainbow falls area is good riding. With your trailer, you would be very comfortable in rampart. It's about an hour from Colo. Springs. You need to sent off for a Colorado off-road permit, 15 bucks.Must have a spark arrestor or risk a fine. Many of my friends have used fine wire over the ends of silencers. The whole experience is just so good. camping out in the 50's to 80's. If it rains, the trails are extra good. they haven't had much rain last couple of years, so you can't have a campfire if it's dry. Talk to you at the race.

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
OKKX'er said:
. With your trailer, you would be very comfortable in rampart.
I no longer own the Tailgator. But do own a cargo trailer. Either a tent or hotel for me. What time of year is best Don? Summer?

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I'm trying to get up there this summer, hopefully August. A friend can give us a good tour, last year he wanted to go up to Wyoming from Crested Butte.

It's hard to beat the Continental Divide above the trees! :yeehaw:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I'm not sure that Gene has agreed, but we (Gene, Jeff & I) are going back to Moab next April. It would be great to get a larger group.

I took my 7x14 trailer this last time and we left the bikes parked around the trailer and slept inside on the floor. We stayed a KOA that had all the conveniences of life (other than TV) so it was great. I can easily sleep three inside the trailer and there were plenty of tent spaces as well.

The only downside to the KOA is lights out at 9:30 or 10:00 is pretty much the rule because of all the bluehairs. That is when we headed to the showers.

Mid May was a bit too late this year. The first day was nice, but the next two were a smidge warm.

Wes is pushing for a Baja trip, but I think that is Feb '06 instead of Moonrocks.

I know April kinda sux for Justin, so we could aim for Spring Break if y'all want to go.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
On the occassions that I went, it was in the first part of July and the weather was pretty good (80 ish during the day, 35-50 at night). If you go much earlier than that, some of the higher passes may still be closed due to snow, etc.... Even in July, we got rained on almost every day we rode (and hail one day). After doing the "ironman" thing and riding 6 to 7 days straight in the past, we decided last time to take a day off on Monday and go to Crested Butte. We ended up doing a river raft trip and checking out the town, catching a movie and relaxing. Made a big difference. As to camping, etc..., we rented cabins in Gunnison, which works out nicely. If you reserve the cabins early in the year, you can get some of the ones that have 4 to 6 beds. Once the cost is split out, it is only about $20 per person, per night. Another plus is that the owner has a hot tub that is outside and available for the renters. Having someone that knows the area well is the key to having a good time. You can find yourself in some precarious situations otherwise, especially if you have beginner riders.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Yes, count me in. I have had to listen to too many of Don's Colorado stories. I will feel cheated if I don't get to go at least once.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
DWreck said:
Yes, count me in. I have had to listen to too many of Don's Colorado stories. I will feel cheated if I don't get to go at least once.

You won't regret it!

VioletSP - I forgot... You need to bring your own oxygen tank!

Lorin - I don't see your hand raised...

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
April would be tough, by the time I drive out and back it wouldn't leave much time for riding unless it was a five or six day trip.

How long do we need to plan for?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I REALLY want to go. The job change makes it nearly impossible. I just don't have the time off. I get 3 days vacation next year. I could problably get the time off but no pay.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Both times I went, it was for a week (7 days, 6 nights). It takes most of the day to get there. That allowed 6 days, which allows for more leisurely rides. Some of the more fun things we did was just checking out old mines and general exploring. There are some really neat buildings, old graveyards, tunnels, etc.... to see.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Lorin said:
Some of the more fun things we did was just checking out old mines and general exploring. There are some really neat buildings, old graveyards, tunnels, etc.... to see.

Architecture :yeehaw: :)

I'll have to carry my big camera. :ugg:

TreeTalker

May 8, 2004
I would love to go also. I'm not sure if my wife would want to go or not, I might talk her into it. I can drive also and haul 4 people, I may have a box trailer by then. So count me in, I can take vacation anytime.
Colorado or Utah, both sound great. I have always wanted to go biking at Moab. Just let us know when and where. Thanks

Keetoman

Mar 16, 2003
Colorado! YEAH BABY! Me and my friends will be in Taylor Park from Aug. 15 - 20. We go every year there and rent a cabin. We ride hard the first couple of days then rest a day (sometimes) then ride to some surrounding towns and just enjoy the scenery. Last year, we left the last week of August and on our first day there, we started out in T-shirts but by mid afternoon, the temp dropped to about 50 and started sleeting for a long time... dang that was cold!

If anyone wants to know more about the Taylor Park area, I will post a link to the Trading Post which is where you can stay and can ride out of.

http://www.taylorparktradingpost.com

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Three River Resort usually has cabins that will handle ten. Full kitchen and utinsels for reasonable rates late August. They have a laundry as well. This is in Almont, just north of Gunnison and ten miles from Taylor Park. Ride right out of the resort.
You can take a number of trails from Taylor. Taylor Pass and Pearl Pass will take you to Aspen. Tincup, Tamichi, and Italian Creek are all stellar trails. From Crested Butte you can go to Marble via Scoulfield Pass, class 5 jeep trail.(if you don't like rocks, don't go) I'm very familiar with the area and have done all of these passes in a 4X4. There are several single tracks and ATV trails to boot. Trust me, you'll like Taylor Park and the surrounding areas.

VioletSP

Dec 16, 2001
Three Rivers is where we stayed last weekend for our family reunion. In one of the cabins across the street there were dirtbikers :ride: . Three Rivers is fun and only about 20 miles from Crested Butte and Gunnison which is fun mountain town shopping if any of us girls go. ;)

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Were would one sign up? Can non heartland guys join in? Must I realy have the knobbie tracks on my back?

I would love to visit the rockies or Moab. As long as its not in april could make it. The Lone Star is that month and there will be a lot of work to do (90 miles of virgin trail must be cut and marked) :yeehaw: The ealier a date is nailed down the better the planning would be for me. As long as I get dates on the calander its not hard to plan work around it ;)

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I'm thinking the end of July, NEXT YEAR. I know that is way off but in order to do it right and allow everyone the opprotunity to go we have to do it way in advance.

Leave Saturday the 23rd of July. Stay one week depart for home July 30. Saturday. Let me know what you think of this. We also need some contact info on cabins.

Keetoman

Mar 16, 2003
You can find the contact info for the cxabins in Taylor Park on the link I posted. We rent one and it's 85 bucks a night but split that between 8 guys and it's dirt cheap! I'll be there this August (16th - 20th) so if anyone decides to go, let me know and we can hit the rocks! FYI, get yourselves a good Lattitude 40 map... it's invaluable there as it has all the marked trails on it and even tells you the difficulty of the trail. Trust me, if it says the trail is single track, it's tough! There is one trail in particular that will make even the locals cry for mercy. It is the Timberline Trail, north of Texas Creek. I still have nightmares about that. Nothing like 4 foot vertical boulders on the side of a hill that drops off 40 foot to the left if you get out of line! can't wait to ride it again! :aj:

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
i know that colorado is spectacular but what moab, ut has to offer is so unusual that a large part of the tourist that come to moab are from europe. as far as out of state plates go......this is where people from colorado go on vacation. that should give you an idea of the uniqueness of this place. you colorado junkies owe it to yourself to try it at least once. sign me up for any time of year. :)

Top Bottom