ATF Type F w/ Friction Modifier?

ibishop

Nov 27, 2008
Hi all, I know this topic has been asked and answered many times. However I found a contradiction and can't find the answer using search. Hopefully this topic will serve as an FAQ for the next guy trying to figure this out...

Prevailing wisdom is ATF Type-F is the best gear oil to use. Another nugget is stay away from motor oils with friction additives.

I just noticed the oil I was about to put in the gearbox is ATF Type-F and mentions it has friction modifiers added.

Should I use this?

Thanks!

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
hey, you probably already made a decision. I think you'll probably be fine. ATF is designed to work in wet clutches, and any friction modifiers are likely for the benefit of the clutch plates rather than for gear wear. What brand/type of ATF type F is it? Make sure it's type F and not dexron/mercon.

madmax80

~SPONSOR~
Oct 10, 2009
ibishop said:
Hi all, I know this topic has been asked and answered many times. However I found a contradiction and can't find the answer using search. Hopefully this topic will serve as an FAQ for the next guy trying to figure this out...

Prevailing wisdom is ATF Type-F is the best gear oil to use. Another nugget is stay away from motor oils with friction additives.

I just noticed the oil I was about to put in the gearbox is ATF Type-F and mentions it has friction modifiers added.

Should I use this?

Thanks!

Yes I was wondering the same thing.

Top Bottom