Atlantic GrandPrix @ Cortland New York

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Had an interesting experience....a nice well run event in my home town. Dale Frietas put on a fun event ..little different than most east coast riders are familier with. It was what a Colorado rider is used to seeing for a Hare Scrambles....couple of miles of open grass track, couple of miles of tight woods, rest sweeping trails with a few hills mixed in. (like the old VDR & Millikin fall series...Wonder how THAT happened!)

Scotty Rich dusted all as usual on his Kawasaki in the Saturday Pro race. I don't think the Jersey and Pennsylvania folks are USED to that kind of raw speed at these type of events.(Hint) :ride: He was a treat to watch....6 minutes ahead of the next guy.(Wonder if anyone from down there is willing to rise to the occasion in August!) :yikes:

Chris Borich did the same in the Pro Quad event on Sunday on his Honda. He was just GONE! Amazing to see.

The event blended horse trails, motorcycle trails, and grass track....fast fun and safe. No one got hurt.

One week prior to the event we had a flood here in Central New York. The road in was GONE. A Canyon! It was patched up just enough to let folks through.

Some of the proceeds were donated to the Finger lakes Thoroughbred Adoption Program. Help those Ponies who race till they drop have a chance at a second career. Guys, racing is RACING. One hand helping another. (hoof)

Next one is planned for August 19&20.

Last edited:

ebers17

Apr 25, 2006
I've never heard of the Atlantic Grand Prix series until the beginning of this year, but never any first hand accounts of the tracks in the series. I race the WNYOA hare scramble series, and would'nt mind trying one of those out. But the cost is high, I think it said like $40 entry fee!?!? Is it worth that?

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Can't tell you if it is or not. One thing I did hear is the pay out to the pro's is better than other series.

I think from what I see the mission is to attract motocross types & trail rider types to try cross country type events AND to give the east coast Hare Scambles and Enduro types a change of pace. I suspect the Wynoa types might have fun .... but they have a series. If the Atlantic GP concept works, all those MX types who have to work on Monday and are tired of more SX type tracks will give this a try and have a blast..and if they bite into the cross county type events Wynoa might even get a few converts as a result of Atlantic GP. Very few pure MX types will go to the average knarly wynoa race on well worn hare scrambles tracks and atually have fun. Also the wynoa types might want a change in pace on those OFF weekends where type donsn't spent the day bending rims on roots and rocks while trying to go fast. A change of pace sometimes is nice.

I know for myself...after over 15 year playing the MX game..the first Colorado Hare Scrambles at VDR in Berthoud was an epiphany! I wish I had not wasted so many year playing the MX game as the Western style Hare scrambles was really like a huge two and 1/2 hour natural terrain MX race. What AGP put on was very much like that Colorado type event....and there are not many established places on the East Coast where that type of event is even possible. Dale has ferrited out a few places ...

I think Dale has hit on the same type of concept as I saw out west and it was a blast out there and looks to be here as well. The only way to answer your question is to try one for your self.

I know for myself my kids were not allows to MX because of the SX trend in tracks. Not worth the risk. I like the natural terrain concept. Easier for MX'er to adapt. If you think of the average cost of running two classes in MX....Atlantic GP is a steal because you pay less for the time spent on the track. Also the pro's get a better pay out.

Top Bottom