1. MODERATOR NEEDED!
    If you have a good deal of RV / Camper / Trailer knowledge and want to help out the community by moderating a new forum here on DRN, please message me. Industry pro's are welcome.

Best 2 stroke of all time

Discussion in '2-Stroke Discussion' started by john3_16, Jan 24, 2010.

1. john3_16

john3_16 Rookie DRN Member

O.k...May be a cheesy thread but I thought it would be interesting and fun....What is the best 2 stroke of all time (125cc or larger) and why ? Not simply because it's a newer bike (but can be a new bike if that makes sense) but what was a stoundout 2 stroke bike in the last 40 or so years ?

2. whenfoxforks-ruled

whenfoxforks-ruled Old MX Racer

John 3-16, its been a while. Good to hear from you, again. I have seen the best 125 threads and all, but do not recall the overall best? I want to vote for my dream bike, as of yet. The Service Honda 2010 KX500AF. State of the art, top of the class. Built to your personal specs. Vintage Bob
  3. Pete Payne

Pete Payne Member DRN Member

Hmmmm, my 1985 kx 125 comes to mind. Built good , ran forever. That was a good year for me also , I won 7 races in a row in 125 c at the beginning of the year. The district kicked me out of 125c and into 125b. I pointed out in the b class in the next 8 races and moved into 125 A . WOW good times .Maybe it was me or maybe it was the bike ????
  4. john3_16

Those 85 KX's were nice...For some reason I always remember the rubber throttle cover being cool...Also the seat that came to a rounded point up the tank
  5. allthingsdirt

allthingsdirt Rookie DRN Member

Yo I'm really happy for you and Imma let you finish, but the '01 cr250 is one of the greatest 2 strokes of all time.
  6. Pete Payne

Pete Payne Member DRN Member

Funny thing -- I have an 01 CR 250 now ! Big bored to 285cc ....runs great !
  7. john3_16

I've ridden the 01Cr250 and it is definitely a nice motor....But my favorite was the 93'...That thing was meaty.
  8. Tharrell

Tharrell Rookie DRN Member

The best bike I ever had was a 1988 YZ250.
    I have a 92 CR500 and a 2001 CR250 now.
  9. Tharrell

Tharrell Rookie DRN Member

I like my current bikes I posted about but, I'd like to find a 88 or 89 YZ but they seem so hard to find.
  10. Joburble

Joburble Bring back the CR500

Well John 3_16, For God so loved the world that he gave us the CR500R and then Al Gore and his Kroney thinkalikes took it away from us (you gotta blame someone). So my vote would have to be for the CR500R, but I sure did like the motor on my old IT465. I vote for the CR500R simply for the tractor factor married to the ability to wrench your arms from their sockets, awesome! The KX500 didn't do it for me simply because the one I rode was insane, and I wanted to live just a bit longer than it would have allowed me had I continued riding it.
  11. julien_d

julien_d Rookie DRN Member

My buddy has a sweet 89 yz250. Excellent engine. Lots of down low and absolutely screams up top too. It can be quite a handful in the woods though. I tried to talk him into a flywheel weight. He bought a KTM200 instead....

J.
  12. Eddels509

Eddels509 Rookie DRN Member

I would have to vote for my dads old 91ktm 250 sxc? maybe it was an exc i can't remember. it was the 2-stroke enduro...fast enough to hang with the new at the time race bikes but docile enough for me to ride (11yrs old at the time) and woodsie all at the same time. with my 86 cr250 as runner up. but that maybe a biased decision.
  13. julien_d

julien_d Rookie DRN Member

Ouch, seriously?

Maybe you are glorifying that bike in your mind from being 11? In my experience the late 80's early 90's KTM's were unreliable money pits, and underpowered to boot. The 91 300TVC made a whopping 17hp. I'll give that it was a torque monster though. I still wouldn't touch a 91 ktm anything even with someone elses wallet.

I might get slammed here, lol. I know some guys are really fond of those older Katooms. If i'm gonna have a punkin, it'll be a 2000+ 200/300.
  14. XRpredator

XRpredator AssClown SuperPowers Damn Yankees

1981 YZ465
  15. Porkchop

Porkchop Subscriber

My vote goes to the '97 CR500R. Mine's been enduroized & has a plate.E-line's lighting kit uses a light fly wheel weight, that makes it very trail friendly at the low end & mid, with that big end HP that can set ones hair on fire! (maybe that's why I have very little hair left) That bike & I did 7 great seasons together. :worship: :ride:

P.S. I would'nt piss on Al Gore, to put him out, if he was on fire. F him & all his bottom feeding eco freak kronnies too. Global Warming is nothing more than ALGORE & his palls scraping the bottom of the political barrel, looking for something to base a platform on. MORE smoke & mirrors! He should go study global bullshat in ant arctic & stay there, permanently..... :bang:
    ( he could become president of the penguins) :nener:
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  16. Eddels509

Eddels509 Rookie DRN Member

Its possible i'm glorifying it but i've talked to alot of people around here and all i've ever heard was good. and i vividly remember a race ready 97 kx 250 (it was 2001 2002 ish so it wasn't a old bike at the time) getting stomped by the ktm on a long stretch and in the woods. on the track though the kx did have an advantage. but this is all going off my memory which isn't the greatest.
  17. DCR

DCR Rookie DRN Member

The greatest bike of all time I would have to vote for 1982 Suzuki RM250Z. It was Suzuki's first year for a water cooled 250 and it was actually lighter than the air cooled bike the year before. It had an amazing amount of power it remained the fastest 250 for many years. The suspension was virtually perfect, better than my 2000 with Pro-Action valving. My 2000 RM250 does turn better.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2010
  18. In come tacks

In come tacks Rookie DRN Member

Back on topic, different bikes are better for different things, like I loved riding and opening up my CR480, but whoops, jumps, etc were torture. The lighter bikes are more fun for the aerobatics. Few of the bikes I've been on are dogs, some earlier 125s. So far, my 06 RM250 has got to be close to perfect, it's me that's got to adapt.

Hopefully, true competition and fuel injection will push 2 strokes forward!!!!
  19. cujet

cujet Member DRN Member

Well, I've got to chime in (as the resident 2 stroke lover). I owned a Husky 360WXC. That was quite a good engine when modified. Wide torque curve, plenty of HP, reliable and light. However, the bike was not up to modern specs. It was old school.

Years ago, I owned a Yamaha IT490. In stock form, it was a horrible bike. However, with proper mods, it became quite impressive. Competitive with the mighty CR500, with the benefit of a wide ratio transmission, a lighting coil and big gas tank. It was equally capable in the dirt or on the street.

But, today, the vote has to go to the Service Honda CR500AFX. It truly does it all. It can run with the big boys, run in the desert, it's light enough for tight trails and good enough to race.
  20. Matt90GT

Matt90GT Rookie DRN Member

1987 cr250r