dog2

Sep 26, 2002
Hi everyone

We race the WORCS (World off road championship series) and do quite a bit of trail riding too. My son has a kx 65 with a FMF fatty pipe and a turbine core 2 silencer. The WORCS tracks have mostly motocross in them but still do have some pretty narly off road sections with rocks, big tree roots, etc. What would be the best 85cc bike for him.

P.S. On an 85 he can get one foot on the ground and the other on the footpeg. He cant fit on a 125 or kx100 etc. He weighs about 92 pounds.

Thanks alot

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I am not horribly impressed with the Honda CR 80 or 85. The power is very difficult to use, the subframe is weak, and the basic design is too old. The KX 65 is much more modern in comparison.

For my money, I would take a good look at either of the other bikes with the powervalve.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
This isnt the correct forum, but I thought I'd add my 2¢

I would also suggest taking a look at one of the minis with powervalves. The RM and KX 85s have powervales. The YZ and CR 85s do not. I find their power hard to use because their snappy and unpredictable powerband. You will find yourself ripping the throttle back when riding them, and waiting a few seconds until the bike finally hits into the powerband. It really makes the bike uncomfortable to ride with such unpredictable power.

A KX-100 would be really good choice as well, and allthough you say he is too big for that, just keep in mind that its about the same size as a YZ-85.

But any RM/KX would be nice for trail riding, since they are also low end power bikes where YZ/CR are top end power. I hear some people say that they are for the 'experienced' track ridersthat prefer their power as they say, but I personally prefer the RM and KX type power, and apparently so do the racers. Most 85 races down here are dominated by KXs and RMs.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I would, and did, choose the RM. Twice.

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
We ran the Eastern WORCS series last year on our RM85. The power valve gives it great low end and a strong mid range. Adding a Doma or a pipe that increases top end helps out.

If we had to choose an new 85 today, we'd be getting a KTM85 or even 105. Better stock components and a very strong power band from bottom to top.

DEX

Jun 11, 2003
I race 85 and super mini with my KX 85 and I would say the best bikes out there are the KTm 85 and the Rm 85.
THe Ktm is the best at everything and is true quality if you cant find one locally go with the RM 85.

mot0head911

Jun 22, 2004
ktm 85 is the best bike out there but comes race ready so it can be out of a beginners expectations, so if your a beginner get a cr,kx,yz, or rm i suggest the cr my friend has that bike and it rips! by the way these bikes are ******* fast, ive heard they top out at around 65 StOcK with new a small rear sprocket and big front sprocket and some after market goodies dam these things could fly past 70

xr100ider

Jan 31, 2003
mot0head911 said:
ktm 85 is the best bike out there but comes race ready so it can be out of a beginners expectations, so if your a beginner get a cr,kx,yz, or rm i suggest the cr my friend has that bike and it rips! by the way these bikes are ******* fast, ive heard they top out at around 65 StOcK with new a small rear sprocket and big front sprocket and some after market goodies dam these things could fly past 70

yea, i don't think that's true....

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
xr100ider said:
yea, i don't think that's true....

More importantly, I don't think anyone cares.

:moon:

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
I have grown to like my CR, but when I was more inexperienced and smaller starting out on trails the power was a handful. However, I now praise it. But thats beside the point. The YZ is like this too. Even though it hurts me to say this because I am a loyal "Red Rider", I would go with the KX or RM. If you are lucky enough to get your hands on one definitely go with the KTM.

Top Bottom