best non synthetic two stroke oil??

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
If there is a better place for this, please move it...

After experimenting with Klotz Benol (smells great, good for the engine but gums up everything and fouls plugs easier)

and Klotz R50 (no problems)

I am ready to switch back to good ole non synthetic oil. Part of the reason for this, is I have read a few things about synthetics relating to compromised corrosion protection during periods of non-use. I don't ride as often anymore, and don't want corrosion on my crank bearings.

Anyway, I am considering Suziki (CCI?) which I have had great luck with...not fancy stuff but it works.

or Yamalube, which seems to be another plain-jane, but good oil.

Cost does matter to some degree, but i'm not looking for the cheapest, just the best overall. I ride a '01 CR250 in a variety of conditions. The engine only comes apart for an occasional top end job.

Thoughts/experiences/opinions?

Suzuki premix oil, vs. Yamalube, vs. what else would you recommend?

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Yamalube is a semi-synthetic, but it is probably one of the better oils. I found it to be as clean as any oil out there. Since it is semi-syn, I would think that corrosion wouldn't be an issue.

Weezie

Jul 29, 2000
Have you tried Klotz Super Techniplate, it's 80% synthetic and 20% Benol. I've not had a bit of trouble with it. Smells good to.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
As stated above, I would like to stay away from synthetics and castor oil at this time.

Does semi-synthetic just mean non-synthetic?

RomKX5

Feb 4, 2002
It's really hard to say which is best becuase if you ask 20 people what is best, you'll get 20 different answers. It all comes down to what you like best. Most will swear with what they personally use or had experience with. My riding buddy always used Golden Spectro (I won't use it), and the bike sat for over 2 years. When he started riding again, the bike (87 CR250) ran smooth with no probs. I personally like Mobil 1 MX2T (synthetic) and never had probs. I ride 2x's a month so the bike sits alot. I'll let you know if there is any rust when it comes time for a new top end. Good luck.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by motometal
Does semi-synthetic just mean non-synthetic?

It means it is a blend, part synthetic, part petroleum based.

It should be the best of both worlds for you.

e.c.bert

Mar 11, 2002
Back to the question from 19 of 20: Penzoil or Valvoline; available at every convenience store and your local Pep Boys. Use as directed.

ACGUY

Feb 6, 2001
Rather than post your favorite oil, lets see some posts from the wrenches that have torn down motors AFTER the use of various oils. For example. "I recently tore my motor down after using Yamalube, and there was no carbon or wear, etc..."

With out that type of information, all there is here is a popularity contest.....................

IRISHCOFFEE

Aug 3, 2002
like another has posted, everyone has an opinion. In over thirty years i haveused ALL the major brands and compositions. In that time i have found ONE mechanic i trust with my engines if i do not have the time. He suggested CCI to me years ago and i have recently gone back to it. NOTHING is any better in all phases and the price cannot be beat. It may not be too cool to say you use a Suzuki oil but it WORKS. I have found that any residue left on the piston wipes off . I have never had a rust or carbon problem and wear in excellent. Trust your experience instead of the latest ad copy or a newbie who is still subject to whim.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I logged a lot of wrench time in engines running Yamalube R . Up until some of the newer synthetics came along I ran it in everything from air cooled drag race engines to water cooled road race twins. It ran reasonably clean at ratios as low as 20:1 and cranks seemed to get great mileage with it. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better oil for normal ratio (32:1 - 40:1) MX/trail use than Yamalube R. The cost is still pretty reasonable and availability is usually good as well.

FWIW - I've heard similar things about Suzuki CCI from people whose opinions I trust.

MikeyG

Mod Ban
Nov 28, 2002
Rich, do you think MX2T is a good oil? I have heard very good things, do you think it would prevent corrosion? I mix it at 25:1 in my 125. Is that a good ratio?

tsuruca

Nov 3, 2002
Everyone I know that trail rides here in fremont calif. uses Red Line! It's an ester based synthetic. (Use the internet and do a little research.) Other castor based oils and the like, run better but tend to leave exhaust valve clogging residue. If you're racing and clean out your engine on a regular basis this is the way to run!

sngltrk

Apr 23, 2002
AutoZone is stocking a new Valvoline 2T product that is not synthetic. It is called Valvoline 2-Stroke Motorcycle Oil. They also carry the new Valvoline 4T stuff. If I remember correctly it was about $2.50 per pint. I have not run it, so I can't tell you if it is any good. Here is a link to the Valvoline web site about the new 2T stuff.

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?Product=75#

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
I've used Suzuki oil with no problems in the past. The only reason I switched from it was because the dealership I bought it from closed down. That was the only Suzuki dealership I had access to. :(

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by RemeberMe

So Rich, what is it that you run now? Just curious...

Mobil MX2T (synthetic) for normal use and Phillips Xamax (non-synthetic) for extreme duty racing use.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
My bike tends to sit alot due to the fact I only ride once or twice a month. I have been using Motul 800. Even though it is synthetic, I have recently done a top end in my 250 and it had very little carbon build up. The bottom end was also in very good shape. I run 32 to 1, trail ride mostly, with clean jetting. I've never had a rust problem, probably due to the fact I live in No. Cal.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Rich,
you havn't commented on the issue that started this thread. At least not in this thread and I would be interested if in your experience and opinion there is any validity to the idea that synthetics don't protect as well during long periods of non-use? And even if they don't do they still protect well enough?
I often go long periods without riding and use Mobil 1 MX2T. Also my bike has a sticker on the clutch side of the case saying "only use synthetic gear oil" Would the same lower protection during periods of non-use apply here.?

Top Bottom