best non synthetic two stroke oil??

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
The idea that synthetics dont protect against corrosion as well as mineral oils is rooted in the fact that many syns are ester based. Esters and castor bases attract water as part of there nature. They are also not very stable in the pressance of water. However,wether or not a lubricant will protect against rust has as much to do with the additive package as the base oil. Formulations with high tbns values will generally protect against corrosion the best. That being said most oil mfgs in the US dont even list the tbn of there oils . I have only seen this done only in europe.

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by HiG4s
I would be interested if in your experience and opinion there is any validity to the idea that synthetics don't protect as well during long periods of non-use?

I'm not an advocate of making sweeping generalizations like people seem to be looking for in these types of discussions.

Additive packages added to the base oil will ultimately determine the anti-corrosion protection capabilities of an oil. That holds true for mineral and synthetic oils. Pure racing oils are less likely to need or contain large amounts of anti-corrosion additives, while sled and ski specific oils will tend to need more, and snow blowers even more. In short if you are going to use an application specific oil it should match YOUR application.

FWIW - I ran MX2T in an RM150 for a whole season. More often than not when we were finished riding the RM, we'd lean it against a tree at the practice track and go home. So it sat out in the rain and morning dampness most of the time. I never experienced any corrosion related issues with the "Survivor" bike running MX2T (@ 18:1) . Hardly scientific, but an interesting and realistic torture test.

Top Bottom