Big Dude, but is my bike to big for me.

paradick

Feb 10, 2007
1) your physical size: 6'4 230 LBS
2) How physical / moderate
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends: mostly trails
4) Do you have any riding experience: no
5) Do you think you will race : no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work: yes some
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke) yz426f
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike: already own
10) anything else that you think would help form an opi

I own a 2002 yz426f. I am a first tine dirt rider. Did I buy to much bike for my skill level?

Jan 3, 2007
No bike is too much to a point. If you were to put an 8 year old on a CR500 then that is too much bike but otherwise no. Any bike is a good size as long as you go easy and get comferatable and coffident on it. Have fun on that late model beast.

paradick

Feb 10, 2007
Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the advice. I rode it for the first time a few days ago, and my buddy took me on the wrong trail for a beginner. It was a nightmare, stalling the bike on steep hills, but when I finished my day on the flat trails I became more comfortable and had a good time.

Jan 3, 2007
You should look into a flywheel weight for it. I have never used one but have heard they are great for less stalling and trail riding. Or you could buy an auto clutch so you would never stall at all. Because i sure would not want to restart your bike.

paradick

Feb 10, 2007
Thanks for all the help. On the positive side of my first day riding is that I got to practice starting her up. What a workout!

Nov 21, 2006
That bike is an absolute MONSTER for a first time rider! :yikes: And,it's no trail bike.It's a racer.But,it's a great bike,and if you survive,you will eventually grow into it.It's not too big for you,but you are too inexperienced for it.Remember,PAIN HURTS! If I were you,I would park it for now,buy a 200-250cc 4stroke trailie,and ride that till I could wring it's neck.Once you can blast that 250 for all it's got,pull the big YZ out of mothballs.THIS IS GOOD ADVISE :nod:

Should you ignore my sage wisdom,and choose to continue with the folly of riding this brute,at least follow the advise of others above.The heavier flywheel will not only help with the stalling,but it will smooth out abrupt throttle response,and engine braking effects,making the bike much easier to control,particularly on tight trails.And,I know this will be hard,but until you get used to the speed,and power,don't go above third gear,unless you are on a straight,flat,and well known trail.Remember,that thing is FAST! :laugh:

Sorry about the lecture,but I always cringe when I see a beginner buy a 4 stroke dirt bike above 200cc,or a 2 stroke above 100cc.Or,any street bike above 400cc. I've been riding for over 30 years,and have seen,too many times,beginning riders get into serious trouble,because they were riding a bike they were not yet quite ready to ride,or in a situation they did not yet know how to handle,usually brought on by too much speed. I know that a good handfull of power can get you out of a hairy situation lots of times,but it can get you into a hairy situation even quicker! :ohmy:

Good luck.Happy Trails:cool:
Bruce

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Look into upgrading the exhaust cam to the 03 yz 450. This will do away with the decompression lever. Much easier to start. A flywheel weight and/or a Rekluse autoclutch will increase the enjoyment factor and makes the bike much more forgiving. The 02 426 is a handful with out a doubt but a few mods will make it more manageable.

paradick

Feb 10, 2007
Again thanks for all the advice. I will defiantly look into toning the bike down with the mods you guys suggested, and just ride it on flat straight trails until I really get familiar with the clutch and power. I believe my 426 already has a hot cam installed to help with starting it. Right now I can’t afford to down size my bike to a 250cc. I know that my 426 has a lot of power that can certainly be unforgiving. I’m in no rush to go fast, and don’t plan on going past 3rd gear for awhile. I just want to learn how to be a good rider no matter how long it takes. I plan on taking a private riding class on a MX track, to learn some dirt riding skills. If you all have anymore advice on my 426 please let me know.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
the more you enjoy that bike, the more you will enjoy it.

another way to keep yourself out of trouble is to keep the revs low by shortshifting and maybe running a gear higher. That will keep the throttle response a little less abrupt and allow you some better control. Of course, don't lug it too hard or too low in the r's or you'll end up fouling a plug.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
don't let everyone scare you. i rode easy trails (gravel roads) for about a year on an XT225 (mild dual sport, my mt bike goes faster) before i purchased the CRF450R. too much bike - absolutely for the first year - esp when on tough rocky trails and then there was that incident on the MX track. (i am 180, 5'11") well, guess all of those had to do with my incompetence and not the bike (hint...). i suggest getting to know the bike well on some easy stuff (fields and beginner tracks) before you head out to the tough woods. use some common sense and don't listen to the people that say you don't need to use the clutch on a 4-stroke - esp on trails. learn to ride with a finger or two on that clutch and same with front brake (although not as important). when in doubt, pull the clutch in. as for stalling - well, it sucks on a 4-stroke, thats one reason why the finger on the clutch... a feature of the 4-stroke on trails is that you can "tractor" up hills in a lower gear than 2-strokes AND you should not need a run up the thing.

best mods i made for control are ASV levers. makes really easy to one-finger clutch and brake control. i could not do with the factory (large) levers.

conn424

Mar 11, 2007
nah man, i am 15 5'10 175LBS and i had a 01 426f and i liked it, but it was too much power for me, all i had exp on was a xr80 and xr 100 and crf150f, so i got a RMZ 250

02yz426f

Nov 15, 2006
You'll get used to the power. If some 18 year old numb-skulls can ride 1000 cc sreet bikes, then you can handle a 426 dirtbike. The key is to always stay in control, and the way to stay in control is to ride within your boundries. Give it two months and you will not be so impressed with the power, you will want a 500 2 stroke.

Top Bottom