mikal

Dec 7, 2007
Hey all, long time reader, first time poster.

I've recently had the need to buy a helmet because all the little spots that only a few people know about, are actually being claimed by city expansion, new suburbs, etc., and I need to be safe to be able to ride in the designated bike parks. Well, I recently went for a o'neil helmet, and o'neil only goes up to XXL helmet size. Now, when I measured my head, I repeatedly come up with 24 3/4 (this is the XXL o'neil sizing guide). Well, my cheak padding is fully compressed, AND I had to remove the inner liner, and press really hard on the foam near my brow to 'form' it as it was pressing very tightly just below my hair line. When I put the thing on, I realize that it will eventually 'mold' to my head, but the dang thing just looks sooo freakin small on my head. I'm not overweight, I'm just a really big guy, that has always exhibited problems like this growing up in life... (breaking chairs, size 15 boots, etc.)

1st question... Are you going to snicker at me when I'm not looking because I look so funny?
2nd question... any other draw backs to having this small azz helmet? I'm thinking that I'll ride with it a few times, if it doesn't work, I'll have to spend a little more and get a larger helmet with a different brand name that has an even larger head size.

thoughts?

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I second what Fru said. My son and are technically are the same size helmet when using a tape measure but can not wear the same make helmets. I have wider cheeks and find that I am biting the inside of my cheeks with his on. He complains that mine fit him way to loose. Try several brands and you will find one that is more comfortable and be sure to always wear it. Even a fall at 2 MPH can be fatal so why chance it

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
You'll be laughed at more if you DON'T wear a helmet.

as a fellow gigantopithicus, I can tell you that the helmets are out there. If you want the BEST fitting helmet, buy an Arai. Otherwise, do like everyone else says and try on a lot of helmets.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
mikal said:
I've recently had the need to buy a helmet because all the little spots that only a few people know about, are actually being claimed by city expansion, new suburbs, etc., and I need to be safe to be able to ride in the designated bike parks.
:think: So are you buying a helmet because you are forced to by urban expansion or because you would rather not end up dead or in a bed with a drool cup? If you are looking to avoid the latter then go to a dealer and try on every one you can and find one that fits the best. Then buy that helemt from that dealer because they spent the time to help you find something that fit your melon. Cheap out on pants, boots, gloves but not your brain bucket because yes I might very well laugh to myself if you cracked your skull because you were too cheap or to vane to get a properly fitted lid. Sorry I'm just mean that way.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
XRpredator said:
You'll be laughed at more if you DON'T wear a helmet.

as a fellow gigantopithicus, I can tell you that the helmets are out there. If you want the BEST fitting helmet, buy an Arai. Otherwise, do like everyone else says and try on a lot of helmets.
If you want to spend 600.

mikal

Dec 7, 2007
Sadly, all the bike shops around Austin do not carry sizes as large as my head (I've tried). So, it's a matter of online ordering. @#$%*&!!!

Oldguy:
You were saying that your cheeks are wider than most. Mine too... What helmet do you wear? Maybe I'll check that brand out.

For the mean time, I can make due with what I have right now, hopefully, it'll form quickly to my head.

BTW - what do ya'll think about Fly helmets? Their sizes go up to 25 1/2", versus Oneil which is 24 3/4". On sale right now too for $50.

-Mike

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I don't know anything about Fly helmets, but I'd rather have a cheap helmet that fit properly than an expensive helmet that didn't. Be aware, though, that a proper fit for a helmet is for it to fit snugly. When you shake your head around, the helmet shouldn't move. It sounds like yours was way too tight, though, if you had to remove lining to get it to fit.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Fly helmets have some puffy cheekpads too, but I got one for my delicate flower (I believe it's the 808 model) and she has no complaints.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
mikal said:
Sadly, all the bike shops around Austin do not carry sizes as large as my head (I've tried). So, it's a matter of online ordering. @#$%*&!!!
Did ya' try Cycle Gear at 183 & Burnet? They have a wall full of helmets. TJ's used to have a limited selection but alot of sizes.

Top Bottom