490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
The SX/MX Deal of the Century
or, What's Bubba really worth and what it means...

You have heard the rumors, here's the real story:

Bubba is looking at a blockbuster deal that is so big, it makes an OEM's racing budget look irrelevant!

If things go his way, he could be looking at a $50-70 mil five-year deal with Boost Mobile, Coke, Visa and Nike. This bikes do not have to be Yamahas either. With that kind of money, the sponsors can make the call, and of course the rider worth that much will get his way. The $30 mil rumor that was kicking around was just the initial Boost part, but the rest together make it much larger.

Is an rider worth that much? Absolutely! Who cares if you can't sell enough dirt bikes to make that up? This is the big-time NASCAR-esque marketing the sport has waited for and just dreamed about.

Sponsors and industry types are excited about what news of this kind of deal means. Other sponsors with similar cash will want to compete, so the top riders now may benefit from more coming in. Will this turn the SX/MX pits into mainstream marketing? Will the pits look like NASCAR pits? MC wanted his team to do that, but it just didn't happen. Bubba's just 17 and his widespread appeal and bright future can make it possible, at least for him.

What's really happening:
Bubba turns 18 in December. There is a rush to put some new mega-deal together before then. His current contracts made in his behalf before then will be binding when he is 18. If something changes before that, well, that's different. If Kawasaki, for example, goes along with the Boost Mobile, Coke, Visa and Nike deal, they can do it. News has already spread about the possibilities, and you can bet the other teams are working overtime trying to either attract the Boost Mobile, Coke, Visa and Nike combination (which started out assuming it would be Yamahas), or put together something better if they want to and know how.

The money is way too big for a factory to dig deep and even try a bidding war for Bubba. This is more like an exercise in marketing. More specifically, bringing in the right outside the sport dollars to get the best guy is what the OEMs need to be thinking about and doing.

What happens to factory teams:
Of course it is too early to announce the end of factory team domination of the sport, but when outside interest is as loaded as this deal, it makes you wonder. Right now, the sport's politics seems like a little banana republic run by 5 powerful families that get what they want and don't need to change anything. They use the AMA as political/marketing utility and for legitimate sanctioning, and everyone's happy-at least the people in charge are. If mega-deals take over, the factories and AMA both can become less relevant, except for the sanctioning-that is crucial. In NASCAR you don't need millions from the car makers, so you would think the motorcycle OEM's would be thinking "heck yea, let's just hand over some bitchin factory bikes and support, an let someone else pay the bills." The other side of that is they loose some control, and the little banana republic becomes a scary democracy with even richer families in the mix.

Maybe the factories will need to learn how to go to the outside for big team money, or the Boost Mobile, Coke, Visa and Nike competitors will come looking for their own riders and teams, no one really knows.

What happens to suppliers:
Right now, suppliers have to put a lot of money into racing to get their product on the track or on the rider's body. The non-factory teams rely on getting cash from each supplier to cover the operating budget-so much from the gear people, the boot people, the bar people, etc. A team funded by a mega-deal could just use what they want and not have to charge the suppliers to use the gadget or wear something.

What happens to the AMA (AMA Pro):
AMA race sanctioning would remain important, but AMA Pro may not be able to use the OEMs as their trump card if another fuss like the failed Jam Sports deal comes up. CCE is the dominant promoter and when AMA Pro wanted to fire them, the battle came down to CCE owning "events." and AMA Pro owning the "series." AMA Pro contracts the series back to CCE and charges a "rights fee" for each event. AMA Pro counted on having the OEMs support when things got rough because they invest their racing money to get AMA #1 plates. The OEMs really held the cards, so they pulled AMA Pro's strings. If teams were mega-funded like this Boost Mobile, Coke, Visa and Nike thing, why do they care what AMA Pro's agenda is besides keeping score? They could buy AMA Pro with their lunch money.

Will the sport be better off?
Absolutely. You won't find too many people who say this is a bad thing. The more Bubba is worth, the more everyone benefits. The OEMs may not have the same lock on everything as they do now, but at the same time they may see some relief from the huge salaries and bidding wars they get into if more mega-deals pop up.

Bottom line: Where is Bubba racing in 2004?
Who knows? It looks like this is not going to be a contest over who can dig the deepest into their own pocket. It's all sports marketing after this (someone else's pocket). Kawasaki and Yamaha have a head start, but anything can happen. The deadline is in mid December for the long-awaited deal that may start to change everything.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I think its a fantasy-mx/sx doesnt have enough mass appeal to warant that type of money.I believe stuff is going on but not for that type of money.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Bubba is a totally different breed of cat though, Marcus. He's young, he's hip, he's black, he can dance, he's wholesome, he spends hours on his cell phone . . . the kids can relate to that. Nike, Coke, Visa, and Boost can see that, and that's worth the jingle to them. He can sell ice to eskimos, and they see it.

I like it. outside sponsors rock. I just wish they weren't all going to one guy/team. could make 4 teams instead.

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
XRPred,

That's exactly why he'll get an unprecedented deal.......but $50-$70 million seems unrealistic IMO. I hope I'm wrong.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I see how bubba will be huge in mx/sx but its small fry compared to F1,Indy car etc etc-thats the only places where you see that kind of money.Most people still ask 'whats motocross?' i tell them 'scrambling' ahhh yes i remember they say.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I like the idea, but they'd better get an injury clause with that kind of dough. Can you imagine JBS going out with a career ending injury 6 mo. after a deal like that? Most contracts today don't have a stipulation for injury, as I understand it & the factories are liable for the money no matter status of rider until the contract is complete.

Of course, splitting the sponsors makes the deal less risky for each, and I think the only future of out sport is outside major/bigtime sponsorship.

And the King, let's not forget, started it. :worship:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I can remember Jeff Glass having an outside sponsor.. It was either Tide or Surf detergent.. :worship:

All kidding aside, i can see Bubba drawing that kind of a contract, alot of friends at work have been coming up too me and asking about him.. The guy is a draw, could you see him in a Coke commercial, taking a drink and flashing that grin.. He can sell product..
Rick

cyprice

Mar 2, 2003
Come on, no way is that kind of money being offered. While this sport may be all-consuming to us fans, we are talking about 20-30 thousand people in the stands per stop of a 16 race series (supercross). And 2 hours coverage a week on the second string cable sports channel and they bump races for college lacross, world series poker, and drag race qualifiers! The X games ratings are falling like a rock and that includes skateboarding and BMX both much bigger with the public than MX. I know people who own bikes that don't know who bubba or RC are. The sport is going to have to get much bigger before that kind of money is brought in, that is a basketball-star sized contract. The exposure a sponsor would recieve from basketball is at least 1000x more than MX. No way they are talking that kind of money, the return isnt there.
Cy

ZOOK250

Oct 5, 2001
i thought that the average for supercross attendance was about 55 to 65,000 spectators. if our sport is not big enough to attract this kind of sponsorship, how could we ever become large enough to obatain it. the sport needs major players like these to start the ball rolling.

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
I agree with Pred, Bubba's got what it takes to sell the goods, and this is what the sport has been waiting for, to ultamately set a foundation of sponsorship with the consumer based groups. But, the 50-70 mil numbers seem a little fuzzy to me too....

Dave...

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
The AMA has had 30 years to bring MX/SX into the mainstream sports arena and have failed miserably. Not only can we not get live or same day coverage of MX, we are lucky to get one week later coverage. Sports like cheerleading ,pool, softball, fishing and even poker get better time slots and more coverage than MX. The entire little league world series was on espn. What is wrong with this picture? I would love to see Bubba rake in the big bucks but without the prime time tv exposure it is not going to happen. Serena Williams makes more money than all of the national riders put together.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
As well as this Dave Thorpe(ex world chmapion in the 80s) actually was paid alot more in his day than the equivalent riders now-so we have gone backwards.In this country when we changed the name to motocross the general public was left behind.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Some great points in this thread...

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I think that with the sponsorship that Bubba is going to bring in the stranglehold the manufacturers have on controlling this sport will go away and AMA will end up being ONLY a sanctioning body.

This is going to be great for our sport and will end up changing things like we've never seen before. Some extremely good and some bad.

Ivan

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Ed sits across the office from me, he is a normal guy. I asked him if he ever heard of James Bubba Stewart and he said "Who?"

He knows who Ricky is, he knows who McGrath is, but Bubba hasn't made it to the mainstream yet.

So is he worth the $$?? And does this mean anything? Beats me, but I would think that he would need to have more recognition before he could command those kind of $$.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I follow college and pro basketball a lot but I did not hear about LeBron James until I saw him play on ESPN. He was commanding the dollars before his name recognition got to where it is at now.

The same will happen with Stewart. Marketing is the field of dreams. Find the perfect candidate then build and they will come :)

Ivan

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
Why does everybody want motocross to go mainstream? What if all that does is brings more of the bad attention we have been getting lately, the people trying to shut us down because supposedly we destroy the earth. If it goes mainstream would it really be good if every house on every street had dirtbikes? We already have a hard time finding a place to go ride.

What would happen to the price of related items to the sport? If it is the latest fad, usually they get what they want for the merchandise because everybody wants it.

I aint complaining, just wondering if it is really a long term good thing for US, the real people of the sport. Or will we have to all pitch in to pay Bubbas salary?

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
The more mainstream the sport is, the more opportunities we will have! Yes, we'll have to deal with overcrowded riding areas and such for a while (couple of few years), but as more outside people are brought in, the more land will be available, people will see that their land can make money (besides what grandparent can say no to their sweet little 10-15 year old grandson/daughter) if tracks are built, and the attention that will be generated may work to our benefit as far as the public land use issue is concerned.

But, can we really imagine MX/SX being as mainstream as Nascar? Are all of their major sponsors willing to throw that kind of money into our sport? This type of exposure may be good for Bubba, but what about all of the other pros consistently finishing 4th, 5th, or 6th day in and day out? I doubt these same sponsors would be willing to throw that kind of money at one of them! Whadaya think? The horns of the mini dads getting longer!? You know the sponsors will be searching the globe for the next big thing and not the once was! The current crop of riders riding for the factories will be shadowed by the big-buck sponsored riders of the future. In order to accomodate this new breed of rider, tracks will need to be reworked to show just how extraordinary the riders really are, public tracks will be too dangerous for the weekend warriors training for their shot at stardom and injuries will mount (today's broken collarbones will pale in comparison!)! Does the average joe get to run out and practice his NASCAR skills at Daytona or Talladega on the weekend? I doubt it!

I know this is deep in left field, but really some of the issues we should be thinking about! Where do YOU stand!?

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by jboomer
the attention that will be generated may work to our benefit as far as the public land use issue is concerned.

Public land decisions will never go in our favor overall. The politics of that are totally different and not even JBS can change that.

This type of exposure may be good for Bubba, but what about all of the other pros consistently finishing 4th, 5th, or 6th day in and day out?

They may get left out in the cold. That is too bad but the other riders coming up that are the new challenger will get the advantages of what JBS is able to accomplish.

I doubt these same sponsors would be willing to throw that kind of money at one of them! Whadaya think?

I think that if McGrath never would have been successful with his own team we would not be seeing KW and Larroco having their own semi-factory team.

[quote[You know the sponsors will be searching the globe for the next big thing and not the once was! [/quote]

Just like they tried to make Ezra Lusk as McGraths biggest competitor, then Vuillemen and then finally RC. They are always searching for the next big thing and the once was or the once could've been is always passed over eventually.

In order to accomodate this new breed of rider, tracks will need to be reworked to show just how extraordinary the riders really are, public tracks will be too dangerous for the weekend warriors training for their shot at stardom and injuries will mount (today's broken collarbones will pale in comparison!)!

I doubt that. I have a friend who teaches MX schools and used to be affilliated with Gary Semics schools. He believes in having practice tracks that are for the masses and the better riders get better on there own then move up. As John Dowd once said... races are won in the corners.

Any track can be made for the next big thing to have the opportunity to practice there.

JBS grew up racing places like Monster Mountain and Muddy Creek. They did not change to accomodate him.

Does the average joe get to run out and practice his NASCAR skills at Daytona or Talladega on the weekend? I doubt it!

I believe they start out on dirt track ovals like most other NASCAR drivers did. I'm not really a big fan of NASCAR so I don't really know. I do know that local dirt track racing is very popular.

I know this is deep in left field, but really some of the issues we should be thinking about! Where do YOU stand!?

I'm a little more optimistic.

I'm also a realist.

Let's look at what this all means overall for the local guys... not much. Insurance companies are the driving force behind track design right now for non-AMA sanctioned races (outlaw races have to provide pictures of the track and have minimum standards they have to meet in our area). Insurance restrictions are only going to continue to tighten up b/c that is a business area that our sport cannot break. Therefore tracks will not get too crazy.

At most you will see tracks with a Freestyle area or a small SX or AX track to coincide with the bigger natural terrain track. As always the majority of riders will ride within their level of confidence.

Public lands will not have any advantages b/c that is a political mess that none of the sponsors will care about at all. All they care about is getting their sponsored rider tv time and exposure. Feel good public land commercials won't help as much as clearing a triple while drinking a Gatorade.

The sport on the pro level will increase. Viewership will grow (attendance is already growing... we just need more TV time which we'll get when Coke is sponsoring a rider thus buying advertising time as well during their sponsored riders events).

My concern is the grass roots. I think the AMA will only be a sanctioning body and will be relegated to ruining an already mis-managed local level racing program. Advancement policies will be hardly enforced and people will coddle the next superstar. But... that happens in all the other mainstream sports already so it is not a death nail at all, just a complaint.

The rest of us will ride and ride and go to DW every year. Not much else will change except who shows up :)

Ivan

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
I see it differently. Everything can be related to supply and demand, and of course money. Right now there isn't alot of money in the sport or demand, sorry guys, but that is the facts. Average Joe dosn't know much about dirt bikes or motocross because the sport gets very little mainstream publicity, therefore the demand is not being created through marketing and advertising.

The sport is very exspensive, which is also going to limit demand for motocross products and services, because realistically many will never be able to afford it. From the data I have looked at 1980-1982 was the highest sales for japanes motorcycles and it has been on a downward trend since.

Marketing of the stick and ball sports is much easier since the price of participating in those sports is very cheap and easy and places to particiate are easily available.

But there is alot of room for improvemen in our sport, I think adding main stream sponsers and getting more attention to the sport will help in the long run. I like to look at golf as an example. This is an exspensive activity that requires large areas of land and high maitenance, which is similar to motocross tracks and riding areas, just look at the number of new courses that have been built in the last five years as the promotion of Tiger Woods has greatly generated demand for golf products and services. I think JBS and these large contract can do for MX what Tiger Woods has done for golf, generate more interest and demand, I am sure it will never be that big, but there is alot of room for improvement.

In summary are sport needs to become more main stream and to do so large corporate sponsership and regular TV coverage is needed. Which will increase demand for related products.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Who says Coke or Boost care about motorcycle related products? They only care about the image of the sponsored rider. JBS is their product and SX/MX is the stage/medium for that product.

The demand of dirtbikes and the demand for the SX/MX product are seperate entities from my point of view.

Look at Freestyle... the competitors make a good living b/c of their exposure on TV. The FMX show attendance is not as high as SX/MX and they only charge $5 a head. However, their TV exposure is great and they make a lot of money off that. That is b/c the "show" is the product, not the bikes.

The same with the JBS sponsorship deal. JBS is the product, not Kawasaki. The big point to understand about this is that if this goes through that the manufacturer will be the little guy. Right now the manufacturers are the big guy and even can control the AMA to an extent.

With Coke coming in the product is not the bike and the bike JBS rides will not matter. The product of the bike will remain to go down as long as public riding areas decrease and ATV sales increase. Nothing JBS can do about that. It's the same as if a city does not have a basketball court, less people will play basketball in that area. That does not mean less will watch Iverson on TV though or less will by NBA2K for XBOX.

JBS will sell advertising and people with watch him on the tube and buy the video games... even if they are not buying bikes or never will ever ride one. What this deal for JBS really means is the product of the "show" will be advertised and marketted more.

The product of bikes are totally seperate and cannot be equated to this deal IMO. What this deal does for the sport of SX/MX is going to be positive... but it will not trickle down to the soccer moms wanting to change carpool from Nancy "my boy is goalie" to Deborah "my boy does triples."

Ivan

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The more riders we have, the more crowded the tracks, and the more accidents and we will be shut down faster.Land issues wont go away due to the excessive noise of the 4 strokes.I dont equate big money sponsors as better for grass roots riders-just the opposite IMO.I just cant see how a bubba attracting big money will help the rest of us-i can see bubba's and coke's perspective.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom