Lewis

Dec 18, 2007
:bang: I have purchased a suzuki rm 125 (1999) for the first time last week , have not driven it yet as its my first bike and dont know how. It is stored in my parents garage for now.

My brother turned it over this morning and it started first time after a week - however it does not stay on while in nutral - it cuts out. Shouold this happen? if not how do i fix it? my brothers stays on in neutral (yz250) which is why we think there is a problem.

any help would be great

thanks
lewis

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Generally a 2 stroke shouldn't idle. It should run for a few seconds and die. Some people will tell you that theirs idles forever, I say good for them. They are not designed to sit and run. They are designed to race. Start it, warm it up, ride it. If you need to stop, kill it. It's a 2 stroke, they start easy, no need to idle. If it's hard to start, there's a problem. Fix that. Idle for long periods and you are just wearing the engine out for no reason, and probably going to overheat pretty quickly.

xkevenx

Dec 4, 2007
indeed, the only thing you can do is turn that screw on your throtle till the engine runs evenly, altough i dont recomend it a two stroke is not made for running idle... i did it with mine and it spewed out smoke like a dragon. The best thing you can do is just start it warm it up and race it!

sixtyfive.

Lewis

Dec 18, 2007
thanks guys great advice, yes it starts first time, runs for a few seconds then cuts out ( so i guess its ok) what about my brothers his runs idle hes got a yz250 (2001)

xkevenx

Dec 4, 2007
some bikes run on idle, my friends bike is newer than mine and it runs on idle too... dont worry your bike is fine. and that screw on your throtle or your carburetor, maybe its that what makes your brothers bike run on idle. or there may be one thing, when my bike is cold and i pull the choke it keeps running on idle too :)

TxCr250

Aug 24, 2006
It mostly depends on what type of riding you're going to do. If you are going to trail ride your 2-stroke you'll probably want it to idle because kicking your bike after it stalls alot sucks. Sure, you could "clutch and rev" but your left forearm pump is going to be unreal after a good ride, especially being a new rider. If you have your floats set properly and have your carb adjusted correctly your bike won't spew out tons of spooge or smoke (a little but not an excessive). However, if you are going to run it wide open, full throttle then yes, having your bike set to idle is a mute point...I'm no expert but it's just my .02

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom