cali rider

Feb 4, 2009
Hey everyboody well i have a suzuki rm 125, 90' and have a real problem starting it!!! its a kick start and was given to me by an uncle free. He let us know that there was a problem starting wasnt sure quite what it was though. Since the time I picked it up and now i have drained out old gas and put in new gas to try to start, ran carb cleaner [spray], and cleaned both jets which were plugged up with oil and gunk inside, and cleaned air filter. Still nothing!!???

Havent changed the oil been waiting to get it warmed up so i can get all the old oil out.

My uncle told me to put some gas in the cylinder under the spark plug to help it start.... have tried several times and still nothing.... the idle screw on the carb I think thats what its called?? is really loose about 11 turns out, how should that be set up??

I am wondering if i should change the float valves??? and other accesories in the carb??? And if possibly the problem it has starting is the fuel filter?? Dont know any advice will help

thanks -Cali Rider-

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Could be a lot of things.

Is there any spark at all? Have ypu put in a new plug? Do you know how to check if there is spark? There are several potential problems in the igntion system. If you don't have any spark, it's not going to start.

Other common problems causing difficult cold starting on two strokes are a worn out top end (no compression), and also worn out reeds.

cali rider

Feb 4, 2009
No i havent put in a new plug.... and dont kno how to check for a spark?? I am guessing there is a spark because it will cough and or rev 'AT TIMES' for a bit than dies out. all this while giving it gas when trying to start.

And yea have thought that it could be that the head and piston may be worn out so thinking of buying a new one, if so might as well get a big bore kit.....

cali rider

Feb 4, 2009
problem starting [also posted in mods performance and repair]

Hey everyboody well i have a suzuki rm 125, 90' and have a real problem starting it!!! its a kick start and was given to me by an uncle free. He let us know that there was a problem starting wasnt sure quite what it was though. Since the time I picked it up and now i have drained out old gas and put in new gas to try to start, ran carb cleaner [spray], and cleaned both jets which were plugged up with oil and gunk inside, and cleaned air filter. Still nothing!!??? by nothing i mean it wont stay on....

Havent changed the oil been waiting to get it warmed up so i can get all the old oil out.

My uncle told me to put some gas in the cylinder under the spark plug to help it start.... have tried several times and still nothing again it wont stay on.... the idle screw on the carb I think thats what its called?? is really loose about 11 turns out, how should that be set up??

I am wondering if i should change the float valves??? and other accesories in the carb??? And if possibly the problem it has starting is the fuel filter?? Dont know any advice will help

thanks -Cali Rider-

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
You need 3 things to start a bike:

compression
spark
fuel

So start with the easiest. Take out the plug, plug it back into the wire, place it against a ground (bolt) on the frame and kick the bike over. ANy spark there???

second, put your thumb over the hole were the plug was. does it really push your finger off? If not, top end time!

fuel, you need to blow out all the passages in the carb. not just clean the jets. Remove the fuel screw, both jets and run compressed air through the passages. Then reinstall the jets and set the air screw 2 turns out.

Fresh premixed gas in the tank! turn the GAS ON! Then check that you have fuel in the bowl with the drain screw. If you do, then turn on the choke, lean the bike over the the left side till it almost touches the ground for a good count of 5. You should see gas come out of the overfill tubes from the carb. Right the bike and then kick. Should start in a few kicks if everything checks out.

If any of this is over your head, just head down to your nearest bike repair facility and drop it off with a few bucks.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Even if the plug produces a spark, that doesn't mean it's a strong enough spark to start the engine. For the $5 that a new plug might cost, it's a cheap and easy thing to check and many times on a two stroke, it's the problem.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
He said that it fires "at times" and revs up, but won't stay running.

Sounds like carburetor problems to me.

He also said that he cleaned the carburetor with "spray". Sorry, that doesn't cut it.

To properly clean the carburetor you need to take it all the way apart, removing all the jets (there are at least three), the needle valve, choke, idle mixture screw, etc. Once it is all apart, separate out the parts that have rubber pieces (such as the needle valve seat) and then everything else needs to go into a pail of carburetor cleaner to soak for a while, like overnight, preferably where it will stay warm. After it has soaked over night wash everything with water. If you have compressed air available use it to blow through all the small passages, especially where the jets go. If you don't have compressed air get a straw and blow. If you don't get the gunk out of those passages it won't work.

As for the idle mixture screw, I would expect it to be around 1-1/2 turns out.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
rmc_olderthandirt said:
If you don't have compressed air get a straw and blow.

Those cans of compressed gas for cleaning computers work very well for those without access to an air compressor. Not as strong as compressor, but work well in a pinch.

cali rider

Feb 4, 2009
wow thanks for all the tips!!! will try asap!!! kinda went thru a real problem today with my quad... soo will chek that as soon as i can!!! thanks!!!!

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
cali rider said:
Hey everyboody well i have a suzuki rm 125, 90' and have a real problem starting it!!! its a kick start and was given to me by an uncle free. He let us know that there was a problem starting wasnt sure quite what it was though. Since the time I picked it up and now i have drained out old gas and put in new gas to try to start, ran carb cleaner [spray], and cleaned both jets which were plugged up with oil and gunk inside, and cleaned air filter. Still nothing!!??? by nothing i mean it wont stay on....

My uncle told me to put some gas in the cylinder under the spark plug to help it start.... have tried several times and still nothing again it wont stay on.... the idle screw on the carb I think thats what its called?? is really loose about 11 turns out, how should that be set up??

thanks -Cali Rider-

make sure to put the floats in right or it will never run,it wont get fuel
1.5-2 turns out from closed should get you in the range

Top Bottom