YoTRacer158

Jan 10, 2001
i aint billy...but ive developed the size and strength of my forearms from just riding. my dad even commented at dinner the other night how big they are. i also have one of those little things you squeeze in your hands but i havent used it for a while.

YoTRacer158

Jan 10, 2001
You can attach a weight to a cut off broom stick with some thin rope and roll the weight up and down.

yeah you really feel the burn with that one. also you can get a barbell with whatever weight you feel comfortable with (i use 65lbs) and do wrist curls. if you have access to a bench press, sit on the bench and put your forearms on the bench (wrists up) with your wrists hanging over the edge and so curls moving just your wrist. if you dont have a bench, you can get on your knees and use a chair...but anything with padding will be easier on the wrists

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Big bulky forearms can actually make arm pump worse. If you are going to use weights to train with, use low weight and high reps. The broom handle with rope exercise works good if you use a weight that lets you do it for 20 minutes or more at a time with out stopping.

thump chump

Jun 20, 2001
Billy break something?????!

Had the fortune of running into Mr. Billy last weekend at the track. He was on some else's 426, which was incidentally completely covered with tape. I inquired as to why he taped his bike up, and he comented that the bike belonged to a "very large gentleman." So I asked him where his bike was. He mumbled smomthing about Dirt Week, blowing up his bike, and someone else's, and as a result of that, his avator somehow changed into a bomb blast. Gee, I hope it's his computer that broke, and not some large gentleman that broke him......

I know it gets awful dark in that cave he works in without the dim glow of a computer:p

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Cripes how big was this "very large gentleman"? BusterWho ain't exactly sized for the Lollypop League (Wizard of Oz).

thump chump

Jun 20, 2001
size matters...

I don't know how big this guy is, but Blow Up Billy sure spoke of him in deep respect......

Now I know I'm gonna catch hell from him when he gets hs computer up and running, or finally makes it out onto the track in the same moto as me!

But maybe I'll be lucky and he'll be out of shape for the Vet National, and retire after the race for two years. It has been scientifically, and historically, proven that this occurs........

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
You guys better start talking about training or something or I'll be forced to DELETE this whole thread for being off subject :p .
I'm not going to stop riding no matter how I do, I want to stay in shape for DW02, I'll just be sure to show up with a spare bike, unless someone else is bringing a spare I could use :) .

thump chump

Jun 20, 2001
why, it's the MODERATOR- RUUUUNNNN!

So what is your crash plan (no pun intended) to get into shape over the next few weeks? Are you going to get your bike back together in time?

By the way, getting roughed up by a guy bigger than you WOULD fall under training and exercise wouldn't it?

Hey- I'm also looking for some good knee doc references. I'm hoping it'll hold out untill after the vet race, but it's starting to look doubtfull. No more spinning classes for a while:(

But I'm trying to find a free swim class I can join. But it may be too much to get my shoulders into that kind of shape without burning them out for the race.

Rumor has it Dowd may be there........

PS- you get my message re: Carlsbad?

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
TC, I have theee man Thump giving me some co-op military tactics on training, I haven't done much the last three weeks, so I have a ton of catching up to do! If it works I will post about it after the race. So far the "light days" are brutal and are making me pretty sore :eek: . I start swimming next week if my shoulder is healed, and would suggest you find that class as swimming is hard to beat for a great low impact exercise!
My motor should be here next Wed., and I plan on riding ALOT starting next Thursday.
I really hope Dowdy isn't racing, I have a VERY large bet that I will be in the top 3, and there are already like 4 or 5 REALLY FAST guys :( .
It all comes down to being in shape, and I sure hope I haven't procrastinated too long :o . It will make for a good training report if it all works :) .

thump chump

Jun 20, 2001
only a few fast guys...

1 Doug Dubach Yam 1
2 Terry Fowler Yam 2
76 Bob Ashleigh 2
15 Erik Kehoe Yam 3
910 Chris Young 4
3 Ty Davis Yam 5
711 Craig Davis KTM 6
60 Gordon Ward Yam 7
677 Don Bisceglin 8
7 Jeff Ward Kaw 9
7 Shawn Wynne Hon 10

Okay, I'm not sure who Asleigh is, but I know Bisceglia qualified for the national at Washougal this year. And can only imagine who else turned 30 this year! I went for top twenty last year, and am shooting for top 15 this year. Still haven't gotten my bike back from Mikey yet though. It'll be underpowered off the start, but I can definately charge 100% the whole race on it. Sounds like Mr. Thump has you on some form of circuit training. I used to swim varsity back in HS. "I could have been a contender." Had my "a" time in the 50m free... Now I can't even get outta my own way!

Shoulder? So you went to Dirt Week, blew up everyone elses bike, AND crashed???? :p

KTM400MAN

Sep 6, 2000
HEY!!!! Lets get back to the subject here!!! I should have given a little background info before asking about arm pump and forearm training.
I actually know Billy Who, and used to workout with him (back in the days when we were into serious bodybuilding) and Billy was like a 4inch taller version of me. He actually WAS a pretty buffed out dude. The problem was that my upper arms were freaky huge(21inchers) but my forearms wouldn't build any mass on them. So, I now have 18 inch arms, with thin sticks for forearms attached to them. I really have a problem holding on after about 4 laps or so, which is causing my lap times to slow towards the end of my motos. I saw that Billy had one of those broomstick/rope/weight thingys and it looks as if that might be the trick. I ride 2-3days a week, so more riding isn't realistic for developing my forearm strength/endurance. I need something (not wrist curls)that will help without causing more armpump. Erik

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
Erik, what's been going on, my computer is down so I've been kind of slow responding. The broom stick trick works really well, I use a light (2-3 lb.) weight on it, but maybe you can alternate between doing two to three sets a day for two days with 2.5 lb. with higher reps for endurance, then do a heavy day of three to four sets with a 6-7 lb. weight on, it gets heavy really fast:) . Shoot me a PM if you can go to Glen Helen Thursday morning from 9:00 to 1:00, we'll grind out a few 30 minute motos :) .

KTM400MAN

Sep 6, 2000
billy, i am typing this with my right hand, so pardon the lack of capital letters.
well, i ate it HARD at comp park yesterday with the othg. i won my first moto, and was leading my second moto when my hands started 'locking up'
on me . i landed a certain double jump and accidently grabbed a fist full of throttle and launched off the hill following the jump about 25 feet high into the air in a flying w flat landing into a berm. i broke my upper ribs, and separated my left shoulder, and badly bruised my leg. needless to say, i will be out from riding for about 6-8 weeks if all goes well. i am getting kind of tired of being in extreme pain and dealing with these injuries and the long recoveries, so i might be backing off of the racing scene in the near future, but well see. give me an e-mail or a call when you get a chance, erik

Top Bottom