salamander99

Sep 6, 2023
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
me - 5'10" , 170lb
wife - 5'2", 120lb

2) How physical / aggressive are you?
My wife - not at all. Me - once I get comfortable I might push the limits

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or?
I'm looking for something casual that my wife and I can use on our trails and the occasional short ride on the road to the gas station. Safety, comfort and riding distance are priorities. We live on a 1200 foot ridge, so trails can be steep and rocky. Need technique and a little power I think.

4) Do you have any riding experience?
I have no motorcycle experience whatsoever and know absolutely nothing about them. I do drive a polaris ranger xp1000 trail boss on my trails here, use a kubota L3902 tractor here, etc.

5) Do you think you will race?
Definitely not.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
No, not really.

7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Nope.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Looks like Yamaha, Honda, KTM and Kawasaki dealers are within 30 minutes.

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
Ideally around $5,000 or less.

10) Your age?
Early 40s.

11) Do you live in California?
Nope.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
CRF from Honda and TTR lines from Yamaha are pretty good trailbikes. The CRF230 or TTR250 may work for you and the TTR125 works well for the wife or even CRF150 (not the race version). I had a CRF150 for my first wife back in 2005 and it was a great bike and a lot of fun.

If you aren't going to race then they will be fine for what you are looking for and the cost you have in mind. They are very reliable as well but make sure you familiarize yourself with how to change the oil, oil filter and air filter as well as other basic maintenance (chain, spokes, etc.). You never want to leave them sit long with the gas on because it will plug up the carburetor. I would empty the carb when I knew I wasn't going to ride for a few weeks or so even with the gas petcock off.

Suzuki has the DRZ line and Kawasaki has the KLX line. The older DRZ250's were awesome. The DRZ400 is a really good option if you want something bigger but may be above the 5k mark. The KLX300 is great but other than that there isn't much from Kawasaki that you may like for just trails.

Good luck!

salamander99

Sep 6, 2023
I appreciate the guidance! I was also leaning towards the CRF150 and 230 and I like the fuel injection as opposed to carb in the Yamaha. I take it these are not really "street legal" bikes? Ideally whatever we pick could also safely ride on back roads and low traffic highways for a few miles to a local gas station and have a large enough fuel tank.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Honda is has the CRF300L which is street legal. Suzuki had a variation of DRZ. Kawasaki has a street legal version of the KLX300 too.

Yamaha used to have a WR250L that was street legal and awesome. I really wanted one but never pulled the trigger.

Clark Jeff

Sep 16, 2023
Choosing the right dirt bike depends on factors like your riding experience, budget, intended use, and personal preferences:

1. Experience Level: Are you a beginner, intermediate, or experienced rider?
  2. Budget: What's your budget for a new bike?
  3. Intended Use: Will you be doing motocross, trail riding, enduro, etc.?
  4. Size and Fit: Ensure the bike fits you comfortably.
  5. Maintenance: Consider if you're comfortable with maintenance.
  6. Engine Type: Decide between two-stroke and four-stroke engines.
  7. Brand/Model: Any preference for specific brands or models?
  8. Local Terrain: Consider your local riding conditions.
  9. Resale Value: Think about the bike's resale value.
Recommendations:

• Beginner: 125cc to 250cc entry-level bike.
  • Intermediate: 250cc to 450cc mid-sized bike.
  • Experienced: Choose based on your specific preferences and use.
  • Budget-Conscious: Explore the used bike market after thorough inspection.
Ultimately, visit dealerships, seek advice, and test ride to find the best fit for you.

Top Bottom