fatboyslim

Apr 11, 2006
Just got my carb back from the shop to get it tuned to KTM specs. Put it in the bike, started up and it sounds good. Very crisp now. Went for a little ride and found out that it is boggy a little bit on the bottom end (even in first gear). Now I haven't ridden the bike hardly all year cuz of numerous problems with it ansd shops so the motor oil is old, air filter is dirty, gas is old but there is a newly chromed cylinder and new top end. Do you think those three things could be any of my problems? Please help. Thanks.

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
Well for one thing I would not even have started the thing with out giving it a total mantainence once over. New carb sucking threw an old dirty filter? New top end burning old gas? Old oil? What were you thinking man?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Try turning the air screw in to make the low speed richer. You may want to read some jetting tips to dial it in. Just because it was set to the factory specs doesn't mean it will work in your conditions. Or take it back to the shop and have them redo it. I assume you paid to have it jetted and if you're not happy with it then let them know.

fatboyslim

Apr 11, 2006
cleaned air filter, put new gas in, messed with the air screw a little but it only made it a little crisper, not alot. The thing is that the bike ran awsome only until I started putting a new top end in and gettting the cylinder re-chromed. And I had a new stator and coil put in. Could that cause any problems? And there is a lot of black spooge coming out, could that be a problem also?

fatboyslim

Apr 11, 2006
But it never used to run this way before. It ran awsome when I bought it and my cousin (the guy I bought it from) didn't have any troubles with it either. Please help.

ZeCatfish

Mar 25, 2005
Check for water in the float bowl. my boys KX 65 is bad about that, it sits outside alot and gets a drop or two of water in the bowl and it will idle fine.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
fatboyslim said:
But it never used to run this way before. It ran awsome when I bought it and my cousin (the guy I bought it from) didn't have any troubles with it either. Please help.

Maybe it used to run good, but you said the dealer changed it back to KTM specs, which I assume means you had different jetting and they changed it. It sounds to me like it is running very rich. I would rejet

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
When you say it bogs does it blubber or go "Whaaa"? a blubber is rich and whaa is lean. rejet accordingly.

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
I'd recommend running through a jetting guide as well. Getting jetting specs from others can be risky, the perfect example being you've been told you're both rich and lean and told to lean the main (when a low end bog is going to be a pilot/airscrew/slide cutaway problem) in this thread alone. Go through the jetting guide yourself and see what you come out with. If you find yourself putting ridiculous jets in then there must be something else wrong, such as an air leak or electrical fault.

Try these jetting guides for starters, you'll find a heap more on Google if you need 'em -

http://www.ericgorr.com/techarticles/carbtuning.html
http://www.mxboards.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4
http://www.mxboards.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=122

fatboyslim

Apr 11, 2006
Well when i took i to the dealer he only changed the main jst and that was it. That actually made it run more crisp. Jetting was fine before b/c the bike ran awsome. Timing? Failing CDI?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom