Barbarian

Nov 22, 2001
Here is a little paradox that I found intriguing. The solution took me a little bit of thought. The question is this: We all know that engines in general require an approximately 15:1 ratio of air to fuel which is mixed by the carburator. This means 15 parts of air are burned up for every 1 part of gasoline. So if you burn 2 gallons of gas, you should only be sucking 30 gallons of air through your air-filter.
The question is, why do filters get dirty so fast when they are only passing a small amount of air through them?

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
For me, the answer is simple. Given the fact that I am noticeably slower than most riders, i am seldom in the lead. this combined with the fact that I am riding in a dusty area, the air is far from pure, having losts of dirt particles suspended in it. With this information, I can easily say that I am sucking in quite a bit of dust with my air, resulting in a very dirty filter.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Because the 15:1 ratio is by weight, not volume?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Wes is right.
Barbarian - You need to present your basic facts correctly before you attempt to be clever. It's not a brain teaser it's just a manipulation of the facts, and it just further confuses an important basic concept that lots of people already have a bit of trouble undserstanding.

Air/Fuel ratios are not based on VOLUME they are based on mass or the weight of the components. So for every 1 pound of fuel (approx 22 ounces of fuel by volume) you have to pass 15 POUNDS of air which is a whole lot more than 15 times the VOLUME of the 22 ounce volume of the fuel. I'm moving this thread to the BASIC forum where it belongs.

Last edited:

Barbarian

Nov 22, 2001
Correct VintageDirt! You win the 1st annual Barbarian engineering achievement award. You may copy this e-mail onto your resume.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Thanks Barb. But I no longer require a resume since I will no doubt die at my current job.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
I think Rich knows what he's talking about. BTW, I just saw the pic in Gorr's book of you behind your YZF...it's nice to put a face with a name

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
OR YOUR IGNORANCE :)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I can live with that ;)

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
He he, Rich "Rip him Another One" Rohrich strikes again! BTW, I was wondering, is that really you behind your bike in Eric's book? Curious minds need to know!

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
So tell me the combustion air requirement (in CFM) for a 2-cycle 250 MX bike running at WFO?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by WoodsRider
So tell me the combustion air requirement (in CFM) for a 2-cycle 250 MX bike running at WFO?

Woods - You ALREADY know ;) that you can do a simple volumetric air flow estimation based on percentage of cylinder filling versus displacement. But you also know it's just a crude represenatation of what is actually happening in the cylinder :confused: and the volume of air is miniscule compared to the behemoths you work with everyday. :)

Last edited:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich
But you also know it's just a crude represenatation of what is actually happening in the cylinder...
Especially if I've been screwing around with the jetting again. :scream:

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Since there is not a dumb forum, I will ask this here. How much volume would 15 lbs of air take up?? Would this be a 12 x12 room full?? More? less??

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
for a 250cc two stroke at 100% volumetric efficiency at 8 000 rpms I got 70.65cfm. Is my math correct? I am not quite certain of my metric to American conversion. is 2.54 cubed the relation ship between cc's and cubic inch?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by WoodsRider

Especially if I've been screwing around with the jetting again. :scream:

..... gurgle, gurgle, GULP, gurgle gurgle DOOOOHHHH :eek:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by jmics19067
for a 250cc two stroke at 100% volumetric efficiency at 8 000 rpms I got 70.65cfm. Is my math correct?

jmics - are you sure you didn't double the air consumption ? :eek:

Top Bottom