mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
Okay, so im buttoning up the ride afer putting in a new RH crank seal. I get the primary, basket, and inner on and torqued down. I give the inner a quick spin with my hands to see that it moves freely, it does. then I spin the basket, and the kick starter assembly locks up, no worries, pop the clutch back off and out falls a piece of metal. At first, im thinking oh F*** i broke the basket. Upon further inspection I find that it is off the cases. Now I'm thinking double F***! Upon further inspection it looks like this little piece doesn't really serve a purpose anyways, but I thought i would ask. It doesn't have a matching surface on the right side case, nor does a gasket run in that area, and it only runs about a third the length of the case and then stops before the primary. It may be there to seperate the clutch and primary, but seening as oil can just flow over the top of it anyways, i don't think this is a big deal, i hope...I really don't want to split the cases just to have this thing welded if it doesn't serve a purpose anyways. So I need your guys input...

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
Yeah, I tryed to post one, but the USB cable to my computer was broken, sorry... I thought about it and decided to just put it back together, it's only a piece about the size of a dime and there were no stress fractures from where it broke. It is just a rib that traces the outline of the basket without actually seperating anything like say the water pump or crankcase, i didn't notice any flaking from where it broke either, so im not worried.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
Or it will seize up in 10 minutes. I don't think it will cause any problems, like I said it's just a rib that traces the outline of the basket, if anything the primary may get a bit more oil splashed on it.

Top Bottom