wizard69

May 3, 2001
hey all.the other day I was riding a friends quad and I was a wheelie when I came down the front tire hit a big dirt clump that stoped the quad I kept going and I hit my ribs on the metal rack up front then I landed on my back infront on the quad.this was like one and a half weeks ago and I can't lay on it or take realy deep breaths without lots of pain.One time I sneezed and it hurt like non other.
my dad says it's maby just a slight bruise but I don't think he knows how much it hurts because I don't tell him much.
could it be broken?
thanx

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
I'd go to a Doc and get an X-Ray done. It does sound as if you cracked or broke it. Unfortunately the voice of experience recognizes those symptoms. If you feel a sneeze coming on try to hold your sore rib(s) so it/they don't flex. It'll take about 4-6 weeks to stop hurting BAD.

See a Doc. Good Luck.

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
I've broken ribs several times, it is my most frequent dirtbike injury! You really should get it checked out though, busted ribs can poke holes in important stuff like lungs.

wizard69

May 3, 2001
ya I will go to a doctor soon.
QUADS are EVIL!!!
My friend thought it was dumb for me to wear a helmet on his quad because it's not like I could get hurt on four wheels but I think it is important to wear a helmet on anything offroad.

FOX426

Dec 12, 2000
Hey wizard, trust me on this one don't screw around. I broke two ribs a couple months ago. By the time I got home from the track, unloaded my bike etc. I could hardly breathe. At the ER I found out my lung was puntcured and had to put a chest tube in me. Not Fun! Three days in the hospital.

scotts250

Jul 30, 2001
Even if it's broken, the majority of the pain is probably due to cartilage damage between the ribs.
I've had as much pain when I didn't break ribs as when I have.
People might not consider the protection that a chest protector can offer over just deflecting roost. I recently cased a double, landed hard enough to break both wrists which blew my hands off the bars. The suspension unloaded on me about the same time my chest planted into the bars. Bruised ribs on both sides, but no breaks. My chest protector was folded inside out curving away from my body after impact. I've done much less without a chest protector and broken ribs before.
Now if I could get rid of at least one of these casts. It sucks trying to function with both forearms casted. I wonder if I have enough metal in me yet to set off the metal detectors.
Scott

Top Bottom