CAD Modeling Exercise - Engine Part Dimensions Needed

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
:thumb: Hey guys.

I’m practicing with CATIA V5 cad modeling software and decided to draw a simple single cylinder engine as an exercise.

I was wondering if anyone has some of the dimensions handy for their chosen engine. Dimensions I need are:

Bore
Stroke
Rod Length
Big End Diameter
Small End Diameter
Distance From Gudgeon Pin Hole To Deck On The Piston

I can just swag these numbers for my practice parts, but if you have them handy I might as well make it real.

Thanks.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
CATIA? Thats some pricey stuff...
Must be nice!
I'll bring a calipers home tonight and give you the 426 dims.

pursang262

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2000
center to center rod length of the 426 is 102mm,top pin is 19mm, bottom pin is 42mm.
bore is 95mm, stroke is 60.1mm.I don't have a piston handy for the other dimension.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Beat me to the punch!
I'll get the wrist pin to deck dim, would you like to know the wrist pin offset?

kevnmac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2003
Hi Mace, I sitting here right now also driving Catia V5 - NC Manufacturing Workbench. Had to take a break from it and read some DRN. It really can be frustrating at times. Huge learning curve. :whiner:

Kevin

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
Thanks for the data. My model is really pretty elemental. I just wanted to practice and have an illustration for an article I'm writing for our regional rag on basic engine operation.

You guys would laugh at the cylinder head. The valve in my toilet is higher tech. LOL. But the article is written for the complete tyro so that should be ok.

CATIA V5 has some cool features for sure - and a steep learning curve. The model I built has all the primary dimensions input as variables and most of the other relationships set as functions of those variables. The parts are all constrained to each other so you can turn the crank and when you update the rod and piston move to new positions. I don't know how to do real time motion and have no idea if I can do a timing belt.

Top Bottom