GreenPeace

Dec 6, 2002
I am ordering XR400 springs for my KDX.
My weight is 170lb and do trails, woods and rocky sections mostly.
From the archives I am confused on 0.38 of 0.4 kg/mm.
Braahp recons 0.4 would beat me and Canyn recons I will love them.
I dont want to set you up against each other but I havent got money for trail & error.
From your replies on the forum it seems that you are both well informed and experimented on this subject.
I would like to know your weight, riding areas and what made you decide on your opinions. I hope its not to personal. ( you can keep your age )
Thanks

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
What I thought would be an easy buying experience turned out to be more confusing than ever. Everyone had very different ideas of what spring rates to use. Race Tech's specs threw me for an even bigger loop. They wanted me to use .46 springs! I tried the XR .40's and Fredette 21 and 22 lb. I was changing these with the same GV stack setup that Fredette had done. It was a little on the stiffer than usual side so thats probably why his 22lb spring worked best for me. I liked the stock 20mm preload too. I weigh 225 and ride nasty trail stuff too. I think you'll like either the XR .40's or the .38/.39's. They are so close it wasn't much different to me. I just liked the way the .39's "felt" to me. I don't think the .40's will beat you up.............I think anything over .40 is too stiff. I like it plush though. I can ride MX tracks and its definately too soft but in the nasty trails its perfect. I can go a couple clicks stiffer even with my .39's and its too stiff for my liking in the trails. All in all I'll say you'll be very happy with the XR springs. It will make a huge difference in the way your KDX handles.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
If you've read my imos, guess you already know what my imo is?

I found the .40 honda springs to be superior to aftermarket .40 (eibach) springs, both setup the same way. I attribute the difference to the length of the XR springs (530mm vs 470mm). The eibachs were harsh, the XRs are not.

I weigh about 178#. Most of the riding I do is singletrack. 'Technical' is usually in the eye of the beholder. Likely a majority of your everday group of riders wouldn't be happy following us around.

My opinion came from side by side riding of two otherwise identically configured kdxs.....the difference being the fork springs.

If you have a question of what year is what size, run the model year through race tech's springrate guide. I believe it's '00-'01 XR400s that are .40.

I'm running 8mm preload (last oil change).

In the end, it's a matter of how they 'felt' to me, also. Sorry, but what braahp or I like won't necessarily have anything to do with your preference. It certainly has nothing to do with setting anyone 'against' anyone. Braahp did his research, setup and testing...I did mine. The important part is that both of us did what was required to get what WE like!

IF you think whatever spring you get is a bit stiff...as braahp sez, go down a couple clicks, or drop 5mm in the oil level.

I DID try .42s once. They were AWful!

re: well informed.

Don't go spreading nasty rumours!! ;)

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
cc - I have NEVER messed with my susp., but I decided to buy new springs (xr springs) and I'm thinking of going with gold valves. I was wandering if I should take my forks & shock to freddete and have them done professionally or if I should try and do the job myself?! Should I have it set-up first and then tinker with it from there? Whats your recomendation?

Last edited:

GreenPeace

Dec 6, 2002
Thanks for the replies.
I'll settle for the K=0.4kg/mm.
One advantage of living in South-Africa is I dont have to wait for ice to melt. The bummer though is there is no stock in SA and I have to wait for shipment from Japan.
I'll give feedback on this forum after my first ride.
Happy day!

Top Bottom