jeeptrick4

Dec 15, 2004
What's up folks?! My name is Brandon, I'm 27 and live in San Diego, Ca and I just acquired my first bike. I've been riding with my friends on their '02 YZ250, '00 CR250R and a couple of quads over the last few months. I've been itching to get a bike now. Coincidentally, I came home from work the other night and there was a YZ250 sitting on my front porch, the same one I had seen in my neighbors carport for the last 6 months. Turns out that my friend was visiting from Utah and was talking to this guy. He was moving, getting out of the desert scene and didn't want the bike. Yeah! Freebie for me!

So here lies the problem, it's missing a lot of parts, like the whole side right of the engine case, water pump, silencer, clutch lever, brake lever, shift lever, and the rims/tires are not usable, among other things. The biggest issue right now with finding the right parts is that I don't know exactly what year it is, neither does the guy who gave it to me. From my research so far looking at different microfiche, it appears to me to be an '88. How can I tell for sure? On different parts of the case, 2VM......is stamped into it. Does that give any clues? Where can I go to look this info up?? Appreciate any help you all can give me and I'm sure I'll be on here with a bunch of other questions once the teardown/rebuild begins.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
what is the 10th digit of the VIN on the kneck or the bike. Heres the letters for year
A – 1980
B – 1981
C – 1982
D – 1983
E – 1984
F – 1985
G – 1986
H – 1987
I – not used
J – 1988
K – 1989
L – 1990
M – 1991
N – 1992
O – not used
P – 1993
Q – not used
R – 1994
S – 1995
T – 1996
U – not used
V – 1997
W – 1998
X – 1999
Y – 2000
Z – not used

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Study that one auction site. Older YZ parts are always available!

Your missing enough stuff that buying new is going to be big money. The yamaha is a good choice because the engine stayed very siminar from the mid 80's to 1998!

jeeptrick4

Dec 15, 2004
Rcannon said:
Study that one auction site. Older YZ parts are always available!

Your missing enough stuff that buying new is going to be big money. The yamaha is a good choice because the engine stayed very siminar from the mid 80's to 1998!

That's definitely the route I'll be taking as far as getting parts. I'm sure that some of the stuff I will only be able to find at the dealer, but used auction stuff is what I'm looking at for now, at least until I can get it running and tuned. Then maybe upgrades and aftermarket stuff may be an option down the road.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The auction site is perfect for restoring these old bikes. I have bought countless parts for my 98 YZ there. Often times I have bought newer parts and re-sold my parts. Plastic is the best for this. Often times used plastic will sell for as much as new plastic. I generally sell my old stuff once a year and buy new. I am usually out of pocket less than 20.00 when its all said and done.

If the bike is seriously old, you might want to part it out. I saw a perfect 2002 YZ 250 selling for 2800.00 locally. Obviously, spending 2000 to make a 89 yz 250 is not a great idea. Hopefully you can pull it off for low $$$$.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
2vm would be the model code for the 88 yz 250 but 2vm would also be the casting codes on any part that would fit an 88. If the serial # of the engine,right side main case right by the kickstarter, starts with 2vm, the engine is an 88.

Speedfreek

Nov 3, 2003
Did you figure out what year your bike is yet? I know alot about these years of YZ 250 ,I have two 89's
and friends own 88 &89 YZ 250's. I keep my eyes open for parts for these bikes all the time so I can either help you find what you need,or possibly have what you need. If I can help feel free to ask.

jeeptrick4

Dec 15, 2004
I found out for sure it's an 88. Based on the VIN number help listed above I ordered a Clymer manual for 88-93 YZ250's. Reading through all the specs there, it's definitely an 88. I'd say the biggest thing that needs work is the engine. I pulled it from the frame and have it set on the bench. It is missing some things off the clutch (plates, springs, etc.), the whole right side cover, water pump, kick starter, shift lever, the cover for the stator part.
I've seperated the top end and am about to crack open the case. A couple of screws that have been stripped need to be drilled out. It's a slow work in progress, but it's a great learning experience for me. Know anyone with a right side case and/or clutch cover? That would be a good start. What should I be looking for when evaluating the condition of the cylinder and the sleeve. So far, to me the sleeve looks like it's in good condition, and being an 88, it's cast iron. On top of the cylinder (or maybe I mean piston) there is a big blackish brown scorch mark. Will that need replaced or is that normal?

Top Bottom