Status
Not open for further replies.

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
After traveling 187 miles on Saturday to go riding at Stonyford Calif. we unloaded, suited up and fired the bikes up, no sooner did i push the choke in and a forest ranger pulls up in a truck, this guy has long hair and a mouth full of chewing tabaco (it looked like a huge turd in his mouth after eating 10 bowls of shredded wheat with half of it stuck to his teeth :ohmy: ) he nicely asks if we would like some maps of the park which i needed anyway so i shut the bike down and walk to his truck as he pulls out some maps from a storage tool box, he then begins to ask me about my bike and what kind of pipe im running, he then walks over to check it out for himself.
We run FMF Factory 4 Titanium pipes on all of our 4 strokes with the so called "Silencer" you purchase after the first time you ever hear it fire up and realize how load it is, Now i knew the pipe was not going to be 96db when i bought it however i specifically asked before i spent $300 + - bucks if I was to purchase the silencer they sell would it make it close to legal and i got some B*llsh*t about how they (The Forest Service) have a book with every pipe MFG listed in it and they base the sound test on the MFG specific pipe outputs and not the 96db STATE LAW.

Mr wheat teeth asks me to under go a sound test and pulls out his unit with a clown nose attached and we begin the test, I was blown away by the results, 107db @4500rpm with the silencer!
One look at the results and i told him there is no way the stock pipe conforms to 96db either because it wasn't that much quieter with the stocker on and he agreed.
I was informed after doing over 2000 sound tests on dirt bikes the only pipe that conformed was a FMF Q series or you could use the stock pipe and get a Pro Moto Billet cap that worked equally as well.
He exclaimed that no other pipe on the market conformed to law, even though they say they do no of them conform.

Wheat teeth did not issue any tickets to the family but did tell us we couldn't ride in the State Park and sent us home after a 3.5 hour trip one way which really sucked, There were a ton of other bikes set up the same way we where but when they seen the ranger truck they headed for the hills (Smart)
I wouldn't mind running the Q except they are a little ugly and they make my bike sound like rototiller.

After riding set up like this all year this is the first time we were ever caught for a sound test, it looks like we going to have to by another setup and keep it in the Motorhome for safety.

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
why buy another setup- just put the Q on and leave it. at 107 Db your motorcycle is 16 times louder than a 70db noise source such as a vacuum cleaner. You may be impressed that your motorcycle is louder than a Bell J2A helicoptor .

And we wonder why riding areas and tracks are being closed.

I am sorry you did not get to ride but I understand why you didn't.

Table B.1 Sound levels (dB) and relative loudness of typical noise sources in indoor and outdoor environments
dB(A) Overall Level Community Noise Levels (Outdoors) Home and Industry Noise Levels Subjective Loudness (Relative to 70 dB)
120 Uncomfortably Loud Military jet aircraft take-off from aircraft carrier with afterburner at 50 ft . . . 130 dB Oxygen Torch . . . 121 dB 32 times as loud
110 Turbo-fan aircraft at takeoff power at 200 ft . . . 118 dB Riveting machine . . . 110 dB
Rock band . . . 108 - 114 dB
16 times as loud
100 Very loud Boeing 707 or DC-8 aircraft at one nautical mile (6080 ft) before landing . . . 106 dB
Jet flyover at 1000 feet . . . 103 dB

Bell J-2A helicopter at 100 ft . . . 100 dB
8 times as loud
90 Boeing 737 or DC-9 aircraft at one nautical mile (6080 ft) before landing . . . 97 dB
Power mower . . . 96 dB

Motorcycle at 25 ft . . . 90 dB
Newspaper press . . . 97 dB 4 times as loud
80 Car wash at 20 ft . . . 89 dB
Propeller plane flyover at 1000 ft . . . 88 dB

Diesel truck 40 mph at 50 ft . . . 84 dB

Diesel train 45 mph at 100 ft . . . 83 dB
Food blender . . . 88 dB
Milling machine . . . 85 dB

Garbage disposal . . . 80 dB
2 times as loud
70 Moderately loud High urban ambient sound . . . 80 dB
Passenger car 65 mph at 25 ft . . . 77 dB

Freeway at 50 ft from pavement edge 10 a.m. . . . 76 dB
Living room music . . . 76 dB
Radio or TV-audio. vacuum cleaner . . . 70 dB
70 dB(A)
60 Air conditioning unit at 100 ft . . . 60 dB Cash register at 10 ft . . . 65-70 dB
Electric typewriter at 10 ft . . . 64 dB

Dishwasher (Rinse) at 10 ft . . . 60 dB

Conversation . . . 60 dB
1/2 as loud
50 Quiet Large transformers at 100 ft . . . 50 dB 1/4 as loud
40 Bird calls . . . 44 dB
Lowest limit of urban ambient sound . . . 40 dB

10 Just audible
0 Threshold of Hearing

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
My VOR 450 thumper is 94db and my GasGas is 96. People don't like LOUD dirt bikes! When will we learn that fact? We have been kicked off more riding area due to noise and morons in the last 30 years than I can count!! :bang: I almost feel guilty hammering this problem but then again when i loose a good area it makes me furious!
Rant off!

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
I just got back back from buying 3 new Q series pipes and put one on allready, Actually i had no idea my bike was so loud, i thought in the range of 100 db maybe but 107 was a mind blower, I will keep this pipe on for now

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
You are the man- thanks for taking the high road, you will enjoy riding a quiet bike more than a loud one.

I had a 92 KTM 250 that was 92 dB- it was great to ride around and no one knew I was there

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
Enduro_Nut said:
My VOR 450 thumper is 94db and my GasGas is 96. People don't like LOUD dirt bikes! When will we learn that fact? We have been kicked off more riding area due to noise and morons in the last 30 years than I can count!! :bang: I almost feel guilty hammering this problem but then again when i loose a good area it makes me furious!
Rant off!

You know, I almost let this slide but who the **** are you calling a Moron? if you want to rant then you rant, i fixed the problem! like i said i had no idea my bike was even that loud, I belong to AMA, IMA and the Blue Ribbon Coalition and I am a paying member of this god damn forum.
any riding area you have ever lost is not because of 30 year vet rider like me.
Nuff Said

Last edited by a moderator:

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
Hey Scotts!, you either have that list of items and there sound level handy or you are the smartest person i know

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
The magic of Google ! ( and copy/paste) I wish i was that smart !

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
You know I think Enduro Nut said Noise AND Morons, impyling that noise is one issue and Morons another- I would think by Morons he meant people tearing up sensitive areas or just generally pissing off people by behaving badly - as opposed to Noise, which he mentioned seperaetly as a reason for riding areas to get shut down.

I meant no disrespect to you, I bet you were surprised at that dB reading - I hope FMF took care of you if they told you the Factory 4's would be legal- Tells me we have a lot more work to do if FMF doesn't get it yet. Especially when you ask them before you buy. You did the right thing.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
ironworker said:
You know, I almost let this slide but who the **** are you calling a Moron? if you want to rant then you rant, i fixed the problem! like i said i had no idea my bike was even that loud, I belong to AMA, IMA and the Blue Ribbon Coalition and I am a paying member of this god damn forum.
any riding area you have ever lost is not because of 30 year vet rider like me.
Nuff Said

The old saying goes "wear the shoe if it fits.", if not, don't worry about it.
I'm just tired of people knowingly having loud bikes after being told by society they don't like them and then griping about it because they had a problem.

stroker

Mar 19, 2000
the pipe manufacturers are also to blame, they charge us huge $$ for crappy loud pipes that usually make little or no difference to the useable power of a bike (often make them less rideable, by losing low end power).

They are profiting by selling us junk that hurts our sport, makes people hate us, and ultimately closes down our riding areas, they are not our friends....

The FMF Q is one of the few pipes that has value, I wish the loud ones would just disappear from the market, or better yet, we need to smarten up and quit buying them, then the manufacturers will pay attention and actually do some research and build a real performance pipe that is quiet, instead of bending some steel tube, bolt on an aluminum can (total cost $40... usually the pipe is much louder and NO BETTER then the stock pipe) and then flog it to the suckers for $400

I too am sick and tired of trying to educate people on the importance of quiet bikes, the problem here is not the ranger with the sound meter, he is there because many of us still just don't get it!!!! :bang:

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Ironworker: Enduro Nut isn't a hot-head, he just feels strongly about loud bikes. But I respect you for going out and getting a quieter pipe right away. Now you two just stop it, or I'll turn this car around and go straight home. I mean it.

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
Just took the FMF Q's back after i received a phone call from FMF Racing about an hour ago, they told me that with the Factory 4 and the quite core insert "with" the FMF Quite packing installed it will run 95 db.

I just ordered 3 sets of the packing so we will see.

as for being worried about what society thinks who gives a **** about what society has to say, I only know 1 person i trust with my life and only 2 i trust with my wife, I care more about how my dog feels than some **** face with a attitude i meet along the trail.

I will however conform to the law, done enough time in prison to know better.

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
Interesting- so the packing that makes a Q a Q is available- thats cool. Glad they were able to help you out- packing has to be mucho cheaper than new systems !

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
pretty cool that they called me, i threw a fit on the phone with the guy i buy all parts from, he gave them my number, Yep $25.00 per bike is all it will take, verses the $987.00 i spent earlier.

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
Scotts, had to ask about your name..... do you run Scotts hardware on your bike or is that just your name? :clue:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
ironworker said:
as for being worried about what society thinks who gives a **** about what society has to say........

I care more about how my dog feels than some **** face with a attitude i meet along the trail.

All of us riders should be concerned with what society thinks as they are the one's who will apply pressure to the powers that be to take away that trail your meeting your new friend on when nuisance noise becomes too big an issue.

FWIW upon my first reading I didn't feel the morons comment was directed at you but more of a general comment in regards to losing riding areas.

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
I wonder if i can get a discount on a damper ?
Ha hA\

Just my name- Scott S. nothing clever . I could never remember it anyways

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
ironworker said:

as for being worried about what society thinks who gives a **** about what society has to say, I only know 1 person i trust with my life and only 2 i trust with my wife, I care more about how my dog feels than some **** face with a attitude i meet along the trail.

I will however conform to the law, done enough time in prison to know better.

:| :|

Settle down man.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
This is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom