Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Canon UK has confirmed the release of the rumored new Canon 400D.

http://www.canon.co.uk/eos400d/

•10.1 effective Megapixels
•APS-C size 22.2 x 14.8 mm CMOS image sensor
•Focal length of 1.6x
•Dust removal system <---cool addition
•3 frames per second - maximum of 27 JPEG or 10 RAW
•9-point auto focus system
•2.5-inc LCD monitor

The 3fps and 9 point AF takes away my interest, when are they going to make a "baby" 1DmkIIN model for 30D prices! :laugh: Guess this one will keep all the Canon faithful that were concerned that the Nikon D200 had an edge at 10 MP happy.

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
Come on Doug, have you seen the prices for a used MKII lately? I will soon have another in my camera bag. Hell maybe even an "N". All I have to do is sell off my 300 (the 17-40 is already gone). Although I wasn't 100% happy with my last MII, I have to try again for SX season (1D and iso 1600 is a no no)

Any way, what white lens did you have for Millville, and how would you compare it to your Sigma?

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
I shot Millville with my newly acquired 70-200 f2.8L non-IS and my 24-70 2.8L. As it started pouring during the second moto's at Millville I was sure pining for a 1 series sealed camera body. To be perfectly honest I still don't think the Canon is any great advantage for focus speed compared to my Sigma. Maybe the 1 series body shows more of a difference but for me on the 20D not so much. That being said I was always very happy with picture quality out of the Sigma but I would have to say this Canon is definitely sharper when the light is good.

And I have seen the prices on used MKII but I'm a cheap bastage and can dream can't I? :laugh:

Hey you went to Walton (nice shots BTW) did you see the program? There was supposed to be a stitched pano of Ryan Millar I shot set up as a 2 page spread. I still haven't seen it but a couple of copies are on the way for me.

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
Ya I seen it. Cool shots bro.

I heard that the IS version is a lot faster than the non IS. We did a test with my Canon 70-200IS and my buddies Sigma on the 1D. The Canon lens was WAY faster than the Sigma to focus, but on his 20D it didn't seem to make as much of a difference.

I thought you bought another Sigma when yours died. How did you end up with a white one?

And since we are talking about gear, I have my 300F/4-IS for sale if anyone is interested. Have to fund the MarkII-n. (Chili, if this is not appropriate, just go ahead and delete this part)

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
The F/S is fine Emile, but I'd start a new post for it. I had bought a Sigma in Winnipeg before I left but I had also placed a post on Fredmiranda to see if anyone had the Canon non-IS version for sale. I had also placed an ad at MT and MD to see if any of the pro's had a spare they wanted to dump. In the end I picked up the Canon (which had been used twice) from a guy literally right along my drive in Minneapolis for $1k US which was less than the Sigma after taxes up here. The Sigma got returned unused when we returned from Millville.

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
The good ole USA. Sure can't beat their prices on camera gear. I picked up my IS version in the same fashion as you for $1450. They are like $2500 here when you add in the tax.

My Mark II will defiantly be imported from the States.

Top Bottom