Can't Believe It Finally Happened To Me!

razorboy

Jul 12, 2005
Hey fellas,
Damn, I am pissed!!
I took the jug off my Honda CR250 to replace all the gaskets. Like an idiot, I neglected to cover the crankcase and yep, you guessed it! I took of one of those stupid little wire style hose clamps that link the tops of the two radiators together and the damn little nut fell into the crankcase!!!
I actually never realized that it went in and buttoned everything back up. After kicking the bike over about 6-7 times (******* still doesn't start THANKFULLY). The kickstarter comes up solid and no more turny.....
I disengaged the HPP system thinking that I may have buggered it up but after tearing everything down, I discover a score mark running around one of the crank counter weights! That little nut has wedged the crank....At least that's what I bet it is.
I have never split the cases on a motor before but I guess I am going to now. I tried tapping on the piston a little to see if it would dislodge but nothing so I need to pull the motor.

My biggest question is what special tools will I need to have prior to splitting the cases? Any advice on doing this is greatly appreciated.

A valuable lession learned here. Considering that I have a bunch of bikes and have changed motors and gaskets and all sorts of things on a lot of them, I am happy that if this type of accident were to happen, at least it happened on a simple 2 stroke motor and not one of my 4 stroke street bikes.

Cheers
Bernie

Tyler3386

Jul 25, 2005
My brother dropped a nut into his 400ex which is the same motor as an xr400 when he was puttin a 416 kit in. Luckily we took off the side cover and used a magnet to get it out before any damage was done. Good luck with the case splitting.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
put it in 5th gear and jerk the tire backwards as hard as you can......it will come loose. then turn the bike upside down and shake it out.

learned this from one of my first encounters with drn................10 minutes later my circlip fell out of my lower end..............5 minutes after that i was a subscriber :nod: :nod: best part is ican renew my subscription approximately 40 times and still have gotten a BARGAIN

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
I would also try the magnet trick if you can get the crank to turn, used it several times on one of my quads when i thought i knew what i was doing but really had no clue and dropped all sorts or small things in the bottom end. The magnet trick worked awesome. Whats this score mark you are talking about? Is it a blueish color on the lower part of the crank or a gash? If it is the blueish color, i think just about every 2 stroke i have had had it, but i am not possitive if thats the same thing you are talking about. Good Luck

razorboy

Jul 12, 2005
I tapped on the top of the piston with a rubber hammer to see if it would spin back but no dice. I will try hammering the wheel a couple of times to see if it dislodges but I am not holding out much hope.
It is definately a score mark on the weight. I can run my fingernail through it. The bike never actually started which probably saved my hide.

Wish me luck.....

And Thanx

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
take the piston off before ripping the wheel backwards

razorboy

Jul 12, 2005
I'll be damned!
It worked!!!!!!
I put the bike in fifth after taking off the piston and started to hammer the rear wheel back. The piston started moving but then stopped so I hammered it a little forward and it moved again. Back and forth about 10 times and finally it came free. It wasn't a nut but a small washer off those stupid little wire hose clamps ---- aarrgh!
I also used the magnet trick to get the washer out from under the crank. Once I could see it, I used a piece of coathanger to pull it up the backside of the case between the two weights and I was in business.
I felt so satisfied that I got the motor all back together and guess what? After three kicks it fired right up.......that felt good...
I wanna thank you guys immensely for the help. I doubt I would have tried to muscle the motor like that if someone hadn't of said just go for it!

So thanx heaps!

Bernie

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
i love it when a plan comes together :)

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
ellandoh said:
learned this from one of my first encounters with drn................10 minutes later my circlip fell out of my lower end..............5 minutes after that i was a subscriber best part is ican renew my subscription approximately 40 times and still have gotten a BARGAIN

:aj:

razorboy

Jul 12, 2005
Check it out!
I am now a bonafide subscriber......
No chicken sh#t around here

Thanx again lads.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
yeah man, now just enjoy :) :cool:

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
Be sure to wash the crankcase out with your favorite "solvent" (if you know what I mean) and then flip the bike upside down. Just to make sure that there is nothing left inside the crank case.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
wornknobby said:
whats up with putting the bike in 5th gear? would say 3rd gear work?

3rd will work but 5th has a better leveraging relationship with the crankshaft

Top Bottom