chadapotamus

Dec 4, 2002
Hey I picked up a pair of Asterisk cells last week and I took them for the first ride today. Well I don't mean to offend anyone or start anything by this, but I pretty much hated them. I absolutely could not get comfortable in the them. I felt like I couldn't even use my legs! I couldn't feel the bike with my legs, which is important to me because I grip the bike with my legs alot and use my legs to feel what the bike is doing and to help control the bike. I also had a harder time gripping the bike, which is the opposite of what I thought it was going to be like. It was also screwing up my footposition on the pegs and I also had a very hard time shifting. Basicaly they completely screwed me up! I'm pretty sure I have them adjusted and fitted corectly, they feel ok when I'm not riding. They hurt my knees when I was gripping the bike too. I tried them for about an hour and then couldn't take it anymore and took them off. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm kinda bummed right now, these things were expensive. I know they are good because there are so many people that absolutely swear by these things. Maybe they just aren't for me.

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
Chad, it is a bit of a different feel wearing braces, but if you feel they aren't going to work for you, call Laura at 800-459-2999 X201, we have a 30 day money back guarantee and we will refund your money right away, sorry they didn't work for you.

Billy

chadapotamus

Dec 4, 2002
thanks for replying. I know it was going to be different and would take alitte to get used to, but these really didn't work for me. I'm going to give it one more shot, but I don't think they are for me. That's great that you have that guarantee

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Chad
Give it some time. I know exactly how you feel and I had all the same problems but after about a 3 hour trail ride I was getting more and more used to them. I still need more time to adjust to them yet. After the ride I moved my shift lever and brake lever for my next ride. (I did move the shifter a bit on the trail and it helped a little, but I moved it up even more) I was wearing brand new boots so some of that i attribute to the new boots. Like Billy said ther is a 30 day trial period, go out and ride with the intention of just trying to get used to the braces. Thats what I am going to do. I want to give my knee support all the opportunity to work out before I wave the white flag.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
You might want to make absolutely certain that you have the correct size also. Some people probably fall on the edge of two sizes so.... check the measurements again.

chadapotamus

Dec 4, 2002
yeah they are the right size. Asterisk had a booth set up at Glen Helen during a race last summer and I went over and got sized and fitted for them and tried them on and everything. I'm guessing that if anyone knows how to size those braces it would be those guys. My friends convinced me to give them another shot. I had a limited amount of time to ride today and I didn't have alot of time to be messing with them, I just wanted to moto! I guess I just got frustrated. I'm gonna go out to the track just with the intention of getting these braces figured out, and I guess if I still don't like them I will send them back.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Give it some time.
Gripping the bike (for me) is much better WITH the braces, no more bruises on the inside of my knees.

They take a little time to get them adjusted correctly. Stick with it for a few rides, you won't know they are even there. In fact, I feel strange if I do ride without them. The confidence factor.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
It took me awhile to get used to them too. I stuck with it because I am paranoid to ride without them and I eventually got used to them. They were harder to grip and feel the bike with at first than my EVS braces, but the level of protection is not even close.

One thing that really helps--I kept putting them too low on my leg at first, so the hinge wasn't exactly at the same spot where my knee bends. Make sure they are lined up correctly on your leg or they will make you miserable.

chadapotamus

Dec 4, 2002
ok I'll make sure. I'm pretty sure they were though because they felt perfect when I was off the bike. I also have a big bruise on the insides of my knees (right where they bend) that looks just like the hinge on the braces.

yzjedi

May 20, 2002
Chad:

Hey I don't want to talk you into anything either, but.......
if you have thirty days, like Billy suggested..... use all of it.

If you have never before used braces, it will feel like you are almost starting over in some of those areas you mentioned.

I am just under six feet and used to really crawl the tank, so my knees were really bent. This brace required me to adjust and it did feel foreign and harder to shift and brake....at first.

Hang in there, use all the days you have, I think once you do "get it" you'll feel naked without them (not that there is anything wrong with that).

If you keep them and then just can't use them... you'll have no problem selling them. :yeehaw:

chadapotamus

Dec 4, 2002
thanks man, yeah I'm 6' 2". I never really thought about it this way, but I guess I really do kinda crawl over the seat and tank with my legs and kinda bend my knees and legs in towards the bike. The braces really didn't let me do that so I felt really uncomfortable.

chadapotamus

Dec 4, 2002
Also, what do you guys suggest for the buising and chafing? The braces came with four extra pads, do those go on the inside of the hinges? I had big buises on the insides of my knees from the hinges the next day and chafing in a bunch of other spots. Does this just kinda go away when you get used to them more or is there a way of setting them up so they don't chafe your legs so much?

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
Chad, are there any pads on plastic pieces that are at each side of your knee now? Those extra pads are thicker for those that need them. Also, do you wear the under sleeves that came with them?

Let's start over, if you could give me your circumference measurements 6" above knee, centerline of joint, and 6" below, hieght weight and age, and what size you have right now to make sure it's the right size, we'll start there. Let me know so we can try some things before your next ride.

Billy

chadapotamus

Dec 4, 2002
ok, I measured from the points that you said and above the knee is 17in. and below the knee is 13.5 in. I'm 6ft. 2in , 165 pounds and I'm 21. Thanks for the help.

chadapotamus

Dec 4, 2002
oh and also, yes they do have padding on the inside of the hinges. I didn't use the under sleeves, I will next time for sure. I've been wearing them around the house alittle bit to try to get used to the way they feel before my next ride and they feel fine when I'm walking around and stuff, I can't even really tell they are there. The only thing is though, that I'm trying to sell my bike right now and get a new one, so I'm not exactly sure when my next ride will be.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
I remember when I got my first pair of stiff soled MX boots, If your old school you know that the older boots have softer soles w/no steel support, It was a weird feeling like my feet were numb. It didn't take long to adjust and now if I put on my early 80's Fox boots they feel like tennis shoes. Same if I forget to put on my chest protector, it's just a weird feeling. Keep trying, more than likely you'll adapt.

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
Chad, the most critical one is the circumference measurement around the center of your knee joint, I didn't see that one in your post? The under sleeves make a world of difference by the way.

Smolj

Nov 9, 2001
I am glad to see your having problems I thought I was the only one after reading these post Iwill give them the benifit of doubt

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
I've got two rides on my Asterisks.

First ride sucked. I didn't adjust them properly, which was the biggest part of the problem. Second ride, I adjusted them properly, and found a heck of a time with the gear shift and rear brake.

The problem is that the brace moves my knees out far enough that I have to "pigeon toe" to reach the foot operated controls.

The braces were as comfortable as any other safety gear on that second ride, except they put a sharp pressure on my tibia / fibia (don't know which one) at the bottom of the knee brace.

I have no intention to ride without them, and it's all part of a overall upgrade of all my safety gear.

I'm going to get a "football girdle" next, with pads, and a neck brace.

chadapotamus

Dec 4, 2002
AHAHAHAHA!!!!! I feel like a HUGE dumbass, but I just figured out that I was wearing them on the wrong legs. MAN I feel stupid. I'm so embarrased. The little guide that came with them that gave instructions on how to set them up said "Place the brace on the leg (Adjustable Tendon Cuffs to the outside of the leg)" Well I thought that this meant that the actual adjusters went to the outside of the leg (didn't bother to actually look at the pictures). Well, they feel much better on the right legs! I'm sure that they will be fine now the next time I ride. I feel pretty dumb, I need to take more time when reading the instructions. I'm sorry for the fuss, and thanks for the help guys.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Heh, I spent about 10 minutes trying to unbuckle the wrong side of the buckles the first time I tried to take them off lol. Mine had little L/R (left/right) stickers on them and I still almost put them on the wrong leg :)

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
Chad, don't feel bad, the first magazine picture to come out was taken by Frank Hoppen, he put them on a manican's legs...and they too were on the wrong legs lol, when it came out and I saw the pic, it took me a few minutes to figure out why it didn't look right. I just saw that you live in SD, if you ever want to come up here to the shop let me know, I'll give you a tour and make sure they fit right.

Same goes for you Tony.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom