Carmichael's comment on passing Reed

Sandjunky

Feb 3, 2004
"Well, if I would've shut off, he was already angling over, so I knew I had to go, and I came up with a lot of speed off the triple, and I just held my speed," Carmichael said. "I had to bring him to the outside, or he was going to go by me, so I did what I had to do, and in not the ugliest fashion. So, that's all. We both stayed upright and did battle after that."

But Carmichael ran scared down the following straightaway after seat-bouncing the triple while Reed was forced to double it.

"I figured I pissed him off, probably, from the pass, so I'm like, ‘Well, he's probably going to try to drill me in the turn after the whoops,'" Carmichael said. "So I tried to keep my speed up through there. I really angled the turn good so as to not really give him a chance." Dirt Rider Magazine.com

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Sounds like RC gave an accurate and honest assessment of the situation.

If you pass a guy and put a burr under his saddle, you should put a gap on him immediately if you can. Works in the C class and it works for RC too.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
I figured it was a payback for Reed pushing him into the Tuf-blocks in the first turn in their heat race. Turn about is fair play, right?

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
Fair game, and you didn't hear Reed Bitching about it at all either. Reed can take it, he's a tough guy; and RC.....well he's a tough guy and he can take it sometimes.

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
OldassKDX said:
Fair game, and you didn't hear Reed Bitching about it at all either. Reed can take it, he's a tough guy; and RC.....well he's a tough guy and he can take it sometimes.

Ya Reed is a good sport and a professional competitor.

RC takes it! Ya right, only when it turns out in his favor.

RC is a seriously sore sport, poor sportsman!
Ricky boy was behind Reed in the first corner, I have to wonder if Reed could even see him.

I hope Reed punts that little < ADMIN EDIT: DO NOT > into the stands this weekend and the next, and the next, and then Bubba punts him out. Then for all the times RC has punted the Larocco, Larocco gets one in and it hurts his little feelings and races back in tenth with all the lappers he’s unnecessarily punted during passes in the past and they all push him around.
Ya and then all the team pit boards will read “REMEMBER RC REMEMBER.” Dirty Little < ADMIN EDIT: THAT'S TWO >

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
i_955 said:
Ya Reed is a good sport and a professional competitor.

RC takes it! Ya right, only when it turns out in his favor.

RC is a seriously sore sport, poor sportsman!
Ricky boy was behind Reed in the first corner, I have to wonder if Reed could even see him.

I hope Reed punts that little into the stands this weekend and the next, and the next, and then Bubba punts him out. Then for all the times RC has punted the Larocco, Larocco gets one in and it hurts his little feelings and races back in tenth with all the lappers he’s unnecessarily punted during passes in the past and they all push him around.
Ya and then all the team pit boards will read “REMEMBER RC REMEMBER.” Dirty Little…

So..you're an RC fan...?

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
:laugh:

I really like him when he is 3rd or 4th.

If stuffing riders is an expectable pass for RC but for someone to stuff RC is grounds for him and his team to threaten and execute revenge is UNSPORTSMAN-LIKE.

Does that make me an RC fan, well no, I guess not.

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
I AM an RC fan, as well as Reed. But Skippy seems to take getting passed agressively better than RC for sure. Historically RC has put some pretty good hits on other guys (which I think is all fair game and fun to watch) but has done his share of whining when it came back to him. Remember all the bitching he did after Reed (barely) parked him near the end of 2003? Something like "he's desperate and hoping to put me out with a dented pipe" or something equally asinine. Don't get me wrong, I really like RC, he just happens to be a hypocrite about agressive passes.

crazybeef

Sep 28, 2004
RC always comes out ahead when it's payback time. Mess with the bull and get the horns.
I'm surprised Reed didn't have tears running down his puss on the podium. Reed is a cry baby.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
It has been noted in articles and by both riders that they do have a mutual respect for each other. It wasnt like a take out move, but its racing and at least RC has the class to state that it was some-what ugly, "not the ugliest", which is cool for him to even admit to it. As opposed to making his own story and sticking with it. I think Reed has been pretty humble the past couple of years, he was cocky the first season over, but that has tamed down after he has had to race with RC.

Ryone

Jun 18, 2004
They're all whiners when they don't get their way (JS, RC, CR). The only current top pros that don't whine are Windham, Tedesco, Walker, Byrne, and Short (and a couple others that I can't think of). The rest of the stars have bitched about tracks, block passes, other's comments, the media, etc...

So far, this year, Bubba hasn't whined or made any excuses, and hat's off to him. Reed has also been a class act so far, but all three of them are at the top of the pack right now. We'll see what happens when someone actually gets punted this year. (And it probably will if the points are tight towards the end of the series).

Ryan

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
blah...blah...blah..:yawn: They're racers. They care. They all do it. Byrne is the only one I can recall that didn't piss and moan about something and then throw down, but I guarantee you he's done it. Windham? Lest we forget the near de-knee-capitation of Vuillemin, or the moaning after Stewart 'helped' him down outdoors last year. What about Walker? You MUST be kidding. Biggest whiner out there, and also the biggest in terms of retribution (remember him running Preston into the finish line stands a few years back, and then inciting a fight?) Short's a nice guy, but he got pretty ugly with someone (Ramsey?) last year in SX.

It's the name of the game, and I guarantee you that if I was out there, and my reputation and income were on the line, I'd take care of myself as well.

JustinC

Apr 5, 2005
I belive it was Hepler that Short took out last year on the last lap of a race to take the win. I don't remember which race it was though. I remember him apologizing when he was up on the podium.

Ryone

Jun 18, 2004
nephron said:
blah...blah...blah..:yawn:
:blah: Misreading again. I'm not talking about guys who have been aggressive on the track, I'm talking about guys who have complained when they were passed aggressively, or the track didn't suit them, or the bike didn't suit them, or they had dirt in their eyes...

RC has his moments, (and has had plenty of them in the past). It's just funny to me that as soon as he's proven human, everyone is quick to point out his mistakes and jump on his words and actions.

He's been cocky and a crybaby in his perfect seasons, but no one said anything about it. Now that he's been beaten straight up... RC is a crybaby-whiner-complainer. Nobody is perfect, and most of these guys haven't experienced the normal lifestyle (having a job, supporting a family, being in debt, etc..) that your average Joe has. They're incredibly gifted superstars who hate to lose, and some take losing worse than others.

If Bubba continues to do as well as he has, and RC slips up here and there, fans will say this and that about Ricky. Then, as soon as he starts dominating outdoors this summer, everyone will be back on the bandwagon of how RC is the Man.

Ryan

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
if i was in the chase for a title and somebody was holding me up .0000001 of a second all the while JS is making time . a block pass would be the best you could hope for, and theres no doubt in my mind CR would return the favor. and his answer would be ya gotta do what ya gotta do

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
I like the bar to bar banging and shoulder rubbing but it is going to end when one of the big favorites has a career ending crash do to a deliberate aggressive move.
And it will most likely come from an overly aggressive retaliation pass from a rider that complains about being passed aggressively.

Imagine this topic if RC actually contacted and injured CR.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
i_955 said:
RC takes it! Ya right, only when it turns out in his favor . . . a seriously sore sport, poor sportsman!

I hope Reed punts that little < ADMIN EDIT: DO NOT > into the stands this weekend and the next, and the next, and then Bubba punts him out. Then for all the times RC has punted the Larocco, Larocco gets one in and it hurts his little feelings and races back in tenth with all the lappers he’s unnecessarily punted during passes in the past and they all push him around.
Ya and then all the team pit boards will read “REMEMBER RC REMEMBER.” Dirty Little < ADMIN EDIT: THAT'S TWO >
Dang, and I thought I didn't like RC . . .

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
It was an aggressive but clean pass, end of story. Reed had every opportunity to chase him back down and put the same thing on Ricky but once he was passed he immediately was gapped. What goes around comes around, and Ricky will get his later this season if the opportunity is right, whether it be from Stewart or Reed. I dont see the controversy it was a good pass, safe and effective.

Sandjunky

Feb 3, 2004
Wow, I didn't mean to start controversy. I thought it was a good pass. I just think the statement about pissing him off was funny.

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
I'm ok with a controversey. Its a good thing the racing is really good right now because the riders are about as exciting to listen to as an Eagles album. part of me wishes these guys could be more honest about how they felt, but the public (us) gets on them if they're flashy (bubba), grumpy (RC) or cocky (all of them). I don't think that JBS all of the sudden lost all want to be exciting and flashy, but it was hurting him in the PR department. I could also tell that RC started to point out the heat race bump Reed gave him until his PR conscience got the best of him and he backpeddaled. Hear him on the mic? He dropped a few F-bombs after the race and was REALLY excited. And Reed.....well he's kind of a robot. Now we have press releases with thre top guys droning on with exactly what they're supposed to............ "that's racing" "he was the faster guy tonight" "I'll try my best to get up here next week" So really, it seems as if we base our opinions on these guys more on how good they picked up their PR training, not how they really are. Hell, even Alessi went into PR mode for one of the magazine's interviews, then he proceeded to pull the gomer move of the decade on Tedesco at Glen Helen.......think he changed? :coocoo:

Top Bottom