nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
Anyone have any good real life case repair success stories - what did you use/how well did it hold? i have had cases tig welded and the like before but this time I'm faced with an interesting dilemma...I've got a street bike apart and there is a Cone shaped casting in the case that cracked - a shaft that holds the shifter in place that slides into so I need to get it fixed to take the slop out...I was thinking either some type of epoxy or having the hole filled with weld and then drilled out. Any ideas?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Ricky.

I would recommend having it tig welded. Especially is it is a support casting/boss for a shaft. A little trick that may help align the shaft is to machine a shaft using a copper rod. Machine the shaft a little bit undersized from the one that supposed to go in the boss. Have the welder build up the boss around the copper shaft. The weld won't stick to copper. After the boss is welded, remove the copper shaft and ream or hone the hole to the proper size.

I have done a considerable amount of case repair and have used this technique with much success. I do not recommend using epoxy or anything like that since it can loosen and fall out at the worst time. Usually when you're a couple hundred miles from home. Especially if it is a support casting.

Just my $ .02
Ol'89r

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
giddy up - that's exactly what I was after - I was figuring I'd have to put something in the hole to be build up the weld but not have it stick. the shaft is supported in 2 placed - the case and then it goes through the case cover - I think it will support itself ok with the crack there but I don't want to risk it - and since I'm not paying for it I'd like to see it done right. Thanks for your help!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
nickyd said:
I'd like to see it done right. QUOTE]

Nicky.

If you don't have a good welder/machinist in your area, send a PM to SFO. He is in SF and probably knows someone qualified to do it. Or try Mike at EdCo in Petaluma. If all else fails, I'm in Corona.

Good luck.

Ol'89r

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
will do - I'm going to take it to a reputable machine shop near me (east coast) and see what he says - he's honest and will tell me if he thinks he can do it.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
nickyd said:
will do - I'm going to take it to a reputable machine shop near me (east coast) .

Oops. For some reason I thought you lived in Northern Cal.

Brain fart. :coocoo:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom