farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
OK - I bought a "slightly used" chain. The box says - and I expected - "RK 520XS0". The chain (gold plates) is stamped with AFAM 5200SR.
So...what did I get? Does AFAM make RK chains? Did the guy I bought it from stuff an AFAM chain in an RK box? Do I care? (i.e., if AFAM isn't RK, is the AFAM chain of comparable quality?).

Obviously, this is obvious to someone to who knows. I'm just new to learning the chain manufacturers.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Jeff,
They guy has stuffed an AFAM chain into an RK box.
It is very possible that RK may have mfg'ed the chain for AFAM, as they do not mfg chains. They have them made for them and lisence their name on them (similar to what Krause (Sidewinder) does).

An RK XSO with gold plates would be labeled; "GB520XSO". Without the GB designation, an RK XSO does not have gold side plates.

The AFAM 520osr is a 520 chain, O-ring, Super Reinforced.
It "should" be comparable to the RK XSO in quality.

NEVER buy another used chain. That is a mistake. What sort of coinage did you have to shell out for this "used" chain?

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
Thanks for clarifying, Jaybird. You're probably right -

NEVER buy another used chain. That is a mistake.

...while the chain isn't a huge deal (if the quality is similar), given time, effort, & quality issues with some of these items I'm not sure that want to buy anything used again! :eek:

I paid about $39 with shipping.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Similar quality when "new" only.
See, the used chain will more than likely have a longer pitch than what new is. That will accelerate the wear on your sprockets.
Take the time to check out the measurement of the chain and see where it is. If it is out of spec. (over 1.5% of new pitch) I'd ask for my money back.
Also, inspect each and every link to see that each and every ring is intact. See if ANY one link gives resistance when you hinge it by hand.

Top Bottom