derekb_55

Feb 8, 2001
My bike is making a weird clicking noise and I'm wondering if anyone knows what it is. The bike is a 2001 CR 250. The noise is a click loud enough to hear over the bike. It happens in low RPM usually when the engine is being dragged down. I've also heard it right when it fires up. The other day I did a loop of the woods, took a rest, fired her up to go, and it click click stalled. I kicked for awhile before trying to bump start it and it made the loudest click it ever did. After a fresh plug it started. The bike has just got a new clutch and the noise has just started in the last 2 rides. Like I said it always happens in low RPM when you are rolling on the power or going through tight woods. Does anyone have any ideas of what this noise is?

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Possible crankshaft problem? piston slap? lean jetting? If you could give a better description of the sound it might be easier to find out what it is...or possibly a audio sample of the bike running?

derekb_55

Feb 8, 2001
It sounds to be coming from the engine area. It is almost a hollow click, sounds sort of like the sound a bike makes when you are in a gear to high and the transmission clicks gears.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Sounds like piston slap to me. I thought I remember hearing that the '01 CR250s had a problem with piston clearence with a piston going beyond the recommended hours then the manual says?

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Sounds like a Honda to me. My limited experience has been that CR's with cylinders as yours (92-2001 I believe) typically have a ticking sound that gets exaggerated as the rings wear. Its especially noticeable on my bike before it warms up. It quiets down a little with a new top end but it comes back pretty quickly.

Just keep up with your top end maintenance and you should be fine. If in fact this is what you are hearing.

Top Bottom