sAj1420

Mar 28, 2006
well the other day i took a spill and snapped my clutch lever, so i bought an ASV unbreakable lever. i had some trouble installing it, the cable didnt seem to want to get short enough to engage the clutch all the way. i went and bought a new cable and still having the same problem, no matter how short i make the cable it wont engage the clutch! next i tried manually moving the lever down on top of the case, and with it engaged all the way my bike is still in gear. what could this be?

thanks for any info

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Engaged is when the clutch is holding, disengaged is when it allows the tranny to move independently of the engine. That being said, if you meant disengaged, then I have no idea, but if the clutch will not engage, you are adjusting the cable the wrong way. There should be a small amouth of slack in the cable at the lever. At rest you should be able to place the edge of a nickel between the lever and the perch. "Shortening" the cable will remove this gap and prevent the clutch from hooking up. Loosen the cable up a bit.

sAj1420

Mar 28, 2006
no its not disengaging at all, so its like im not pulling in the clutch when i put it into gear, and its not the lever because when i move the little arm all the way towards the handlebars (the arm that the clutch cable pulls) its still like its not even being pulled. i have no clue what this could be :bang:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
If that doesn't work, then pull the cover, check for burrs in the basket, see if the actual plates move when you operate the lever, and adjust the clutch assembly if necessary. I have done this before, but don't recall the process well enough to describe it in detail. I do recall an adjuster in the middle of the basket, and think it required a screwdriver and a wrench.

Last edited:

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
1.Does your cable have one adjustment or two? As in one one the perch and one one the crankcase? Some bikes have one and some have both.
2.Does your new lever mount like your broken one did? In other words, do they look the same?

sAj1420

Mar 28, 2006
yea the arm is getting pulled all the way.. and the cable has been adjusted. i guess i gotta pull the cover and see whats goin on

sAj1420

Mar 28, 2006
k here is what i have. the red dot.. part number 11 is what i think is messed up. when i take off the cover that part is moving around freely inside, is that supposed to be like that? also if i take off the pressure plate will i be able to get it back on myself?

yzclutch.jpg

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
That part you are looking at is going to move freely when the cover is off, On my 98 yz 125 it is just like yours and it will spin and move freely when the cover is off. Is there any notches in your basket?? On that part that you are looking at you can see the needle bearings, are they ok?? Also you might think about getting new springs?? On my yz ,replacing the springs solved the same issue that you are having!! BUT TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT THE BASKET FOR NOTCHES

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
Man what a ride, two straight hours of very hard riding on a 8 mile woods loop with a hole lot of perfectly slopped water breaks :laugh: I;m practicing for a hairscramble next month. OK, the basket is a (large round bowl shape) that holds your plates and clutch disces ,The clutch plates turn with the basket and the disc fit in between the plates and ride on the clutch hub wich connects power to the tranny. On the basket finger were the plate ride(slide in and out)when clutch is engaged and disengaged-if it is worn it will have small notched on the finger( there should be very,very little play between the plates and finger. Take the pressure plate off and look- The hole clutch assy. is pretty simple, Just look at the diagham you have down loaded!! Look close at the alum. or metal disc for warpage, also test each spring buy putting something heavy(the same thing) on each one and measuring it's height!! Let us know what it looks like!!

ctrlaltdl

Apr 14, 2006
When you put the cover back on just make sure that #21 is pointed toward the rear of your bike so when you put it together it pulls #11 towards the cover more, so you can get more pull on the clutch.

Does that make sense?

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
When installed correctly, the clutch arm-no.21 should line up with a small mark on the engine case,It will take a couple of tries to get it dead on!! If not in the correct spot it will make the cable not fit or work properly!!

Top Bottom