sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
Today i decided to take my RM out and it was running excellent. I only burned around the open field near my house so nothing crazy. When i was about to head back to my place the clutch started acting real wierd. I got on it and hit the powerband and when i shifted into 3rd it kinda hesitated then finally caught, same with 4th gear. It was like it slipped real quick then caught back up. I got home and pulled everything apart. For some reason the adjustment piece on the perch was all the way in which gave my to much play. I wasnt sure if the cable was just shot or not so i pulled it out and it looked fine. The clutch itself is perfectly fine also. I put the clutch cable back in and adjusted it and it seems alright but i didnt take it back out yet tho, prob tomorrow. Is it possible for my clutch adjuster to adjust itslef from vibration that quick to cause it to have to much play? Everything else looks fine but i dont want to run into this problem again. Just seemed odd that it was perfectly fine then all of a sudden it was way out of adjustment. Anything else I should look into, maybe get a new cable just to be sure?

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
is was more of an adjustment on the perch for some reason. It was almost like it came loose then screwed itself back in within a matter of seconds, it was very wierd and have never had anything like that happen before. its adjusted again and is working fine for now, i just cant figure out why it adjusted itself so fast and gave me so much play. At first I thought the cable snapped thats how loose it got.

binthedirtnow

Mar 29, 2005
Yeah, it's possible for your adjuster to adjust itself from vibration if the little lock nut wasn't tight enough. I think what your saying is your worried about the clutch slipping?? And the lever had a lot of play for some unknown reason? Is that right? If that's it, it might be two seperate things at once. The lever play increasing is probably as marcus said. The slipping might be something else. Too much play in the lever, by itself, means that you would have trouble disengaging the clutch - it would make it harder to slip the clutch. But you said the clutch slipped. Did you change your oil recently? Beware that certain automotive oils have "friction reducers" for getting better gas mileage that could cause a mc clutch to slip. Or, the loose lever and slipping clutch are related in that you were hammering the sucker and it faded!! :aj:

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom