indigojoker

Jun 19, 2007
I'm about to do a rebuild myself and found this site. I dont know how complete it is, but its the best I have found for a 2-stroke.
Good luck! off-road.gr/article25.html

crazy4life

Aug 30, 2007
How do you check how much tolerance your crank has? That looks like a decent guide.

what about things i should check while im doing a complete over haul?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Get a factory service manual. That is the guide you are asking about. It will have all of the steps involved, plus all of the specs you will need.

indigojoker

Jun 19, 2007
I'm still learning too, but do you have a manual for the bike? I bought a service and maintenance manual and it explains all kinds of stuff as well as how everything comes apart and goes back together. I bought one on ebay for under 10 bucks. It was on a disc and I just printed it out (300+ pgs) but it covers everything!
I havent found anything for a total overhaul, but just search around on yahoo and google and somethin will pop up.

crazy4life

Aug 30, 2007
IndyMX said:
Get a factory service manual. That is the guide you are asking about. It will have all of the steps involved, plus all of the specs you will need.
Already done :) I'm way more interested in a tool list. I dont want to have to keep going out to find a tool i need when i can just get them all in one stop.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
crazy4life said:
Already done :) I'm way more interested in a tool list. I dont want to have to keep going out to find a tool i need when i can just get them all in one stop.

I'd get a Motion Pro flywheel puller, something to hold the clutch basket (motion pro makes a tool), and something to use to split the cases (if you plan on doing that).

You don't have to have the expensive factory tools, in fact, I use a steering wheel puller from Autozone for splitting 2 stroke cases.

Other than those, you really don't need any special tools.

You can take the cylinder, piston and crank to a machine shop and have them measured, no need to buy all of the stuff to do that, unless you plan on doing this sort of work a lot.

crazy4life

Aug 30, 2007
And of course a torque wrench. If i were to have to replace my rod/bearings i would have to split the case correct? Do i need any torque wrench adapters to torque all the bolts?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Yes, you'll need to split the cases to do the rod & bearings. If you do that, it would probably be best to just get a Hot Rods complete crank. Has everything you need.. Crank, Rod, bearings and seals. No need to separate the crank. And the price is pretty good compared to all of the separate parts.

"torque wrench adapters"??? What?

Top Bottom