Corralitos 100 Desert Race, Nov. 4/5th, Las Cruces, NM

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Saturday, Nov. 4th

Pre-ride Sunday's course (on Saturday), fee is $10, 11 am – 2:30 pm
50s, 60s & 80 mini and quad mini (420), 11 am-noon pre ride mini course and race at 2 pm
Mini trophy awards at 4:30 pm

Sunday, Nov. 5th

Rider‘s meeting at 7:30 am
Race begins at 8 am; expert ($60; four loops), proam ($50; three loops), amateurs ($50; three loops), novice ($50; three loops), ironman (graduated minis) ($30; two loops)

Pre-entry forms must be postmarked no later than Oct. 27th
AMA membership required

Sunday Course Information

22 mile loop on BLM, State, and private lands
Trails, some sand, rocks and turns
4,500’ elevations
Undercarriages must be pre-washed

Pit Area

12-miles west of Las Cruces off of Interstate 10. Exit Corralitos/127. Turn left over freeway then right on frontage road. Over cattle guard, then right onto dirt road. Follow arrows and ribbons.

Information

Badlands ATV and Cycle, 505- 647-8333

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Yes - going. It's 2 exits west on Interstate-10 from my place.

I've been helping the promoter. I'm not fond of supporting speed events though this is something useful to do. Last w/e we cleared most of the bigger rocks, and this weekend we are staking arrows & ribbons. Having an elect. start makes some difference with course prep.

Not sure what I'll be assigned on race day(s) - maybe float to where the need is; his wife mentioned sweep, and if so I hope no one gets hurt, although that's possible as speed is involved and lappers.

Last month I worked a check at an enduro in the nearby mountains. There's tall pines, aspens and water there, making it relatively scenic, even though there's many rocks and the kwad riders have been tearing up the trails.

I'd do more volunteer work but everything is so far away since the population centers are dispersed. For example, my wife wanted to go to Albuquerque one day; after driving 3.5 hours we were still 1/2-hour away from the city and was wondering if we would every do such a trip on a whim ever again - kinda like being on a across-the-country flight: when are we ever going to get there?! I hear it's that way in AZ and TX also.

Work has been a physical and mental drain, and there's no sign of letup in sight for years to come; better that way than watching coworkers go bald.

Our youngest son and the USMC went separate ways; he's with us now and begins work at a call center on Monday. MRS Placelast was unable to find anything suitable with her background (paralegal) although that's fine with both of us.

This town is sure different. At first I liked the ag and slower nature but now see how they could have done things much differently, as far as city layout. Then again no one would have guessed the population of the Country would grow to thus.

One can understand why folks retire here but I'd rather be near DRNers and TWM/C.

There is an awfully small dirt bike-rider population here - economics? Most employment is entry-level income/opportunity.

Enough ramblings...

Top Bottom