jodyboy

Mar 5, 2008
Tcarn9 said:
i live in central new york i moved that needle up one more notch and hasnt fouled a plug yet so im hoping that that will do it but in doing this does it affect the life time of the engine does it shorten it in anyway or harm it in any way? just wondering

NO. That is of course if you do a proper plug reading. The higher you raise the clip the dryer the plug should get. The plug should be a light brown or tan color. Make sure that it DOES NOT have white deposits. White deposits are a sign that you've went a too far leaning it out. You may possibly foul a plug one more time in a few days, maybe even a week or two. Hopefully not, but if so move it up one more notch. That should do the trick. Don't panic if you have to set it all the way to the top. Every bike runs a little different. Just like every gun shoots a little different. It doesn't matter if someone else has the same bike that is jetted different, or needle clip is at a different notch. Keep us updated! :cool:

Tcarn9

Jun 27, 2008
i will thanks for all the help i relly appreciate it it has been a problem now for over 4 years now its finally hopefully being cured i will keep you guys posted

Tcarn9

Jun 27, 2008
bad news. Everything was great for 4 days i didnt foul one spark plug and a road quite a bit. then in fouled on the fifth day when we put a new silencer on it.

hot125mod

Jan 14, 2007
Hey, i have a simple question, what brand of premix oil are you using and at what ratio? I have been having a plug fouling problem also with my kx. I used maxima 927 at 32:1 and it was perfect plug color, the jetting was great, then the 927 became scarce so i started to use amsoil dominator at the same ratio and fouled plugs left and right. On the bottle it says 50:1, that seems to be really lean to me, is it because it is a full synthetic?

bmcd308

Feb 9, 2007
Using less oil (going from 32 to 1 to 50 to 1) actually richened your mixture rather than leaning it.

When you use less oil, you have more gas per unit volume of fuel mix, so you have more fuel per unit of air through the intake.

Tcarn9

Jun 27, 2008
i moved the needle up two notches and it didnt foul a plug for four days then alll of the sudden it fouled then we put the new silencer on what should i do to stop the fouling move the neddle down one nothc?

crkid33

Jun 20, 2007
usually if you put on a new silencer, or header you have to jet it right. so, start playing with the jetting again till you get it right.

jodyboy

Mar 5, 2008
Tcarn9 said:
i moved the needle up two notches and it didnt foul a plug for four days then alll of the sudden it fouled then we put the new silencer on what should i do to stop the fouling move the neddle down one nothc?

Yeah, with a new pipe they tend to run lean. What's the plug telling you? Do a plug reading. Did it foul before the pipe was put on? Put the stock pipe back on. Get the bike to stop fouling before you put a new pipe on. If you do both at one time, you're just running around in circles. :bang: How far are you from the top notch? As I said earlier, it may take your bike about a week to foul the plug before the clip is set in the right notch. Probably one more notch and you're there. Then you can put the pipe on and adjust you jetting from plug readings. :cool:

Tcarn9

Jun 27, 2008
yeah the plug did foul before we put the pipe on it lasted 4 days without fouling then all the sudden it did we moved the needle down a notch to see how that works out i will keep you guys posted on that

jodyboy

Mar 5, 2008
You're going the wrong way if it's wet fouling. If you're all the way to the top, put the clip back in the original position and go down on the main jet. :cool:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
jodyboy said:
You're going the wrong way if it's wet fouling. If you're all the way to the top, put the clip back in the original position and go down on the main jet. :cool:
Close, but no, he will need a leaner needle. Where is the air screw adjusted to? And he did say he lowered the needle. Lower the needle or raise the clip, it should get leaner. Set the air screw to tell you how the pilot jet size is. Then set the needle clip, then the main. If it does not make sense, replace the float valve.

jodyboy

Mar 5, 2008
You moved it down or up? Have you moved it all the way to the top? If so, whenfoxforks-ruled says you need to go to a leaner needle. I have no experience in going to a leaner needle, but I would imagine that the clip should be put in the stock position and then moved accordingly. You still haven't told us what the plug looks like when you pull it. Is it black and wet?

jodyboy

Mar 5, 2008
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Close, but no, he will need a leaner needle. Where is the air screw adjusted to? And he did say he lowered the needle. Lower the needle or raise the clip, it should get leaner. Set the air screw to tell you how the pilot jet size is. Then set the needle clip, then the main. If it does not make sense, replace the float valve.

I guess I was getting a little bit ahead of myself.

Tcarn9

Jun 27, 2008
i took off the new silencer and put the old one back on and hasnt fouled yet so now what should i do about the new one?

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
maby lower than that!

I run my it 175 at 20:1, that's what it was run at from the factory, and it still does not foul plugs.

I like running my bike with a high Gas:Oil ratio, better engine lubrication and longer life.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom