XNAGEX

Mar 8, 2005
For those who have a CR 250 , what mods did you do to make it woods friendly? Here's mine : FMF Gnarly torque pipe , 3mm torque ring , 12 tooth sprocket on front 51 on back , a 10 ounce flywheel weight , and BarkBusters. It was a fairly cheap project and the results I get out of it in the woods absolutely amaze me. So what have you done to make yours woods ready and how is it workin' for you?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I bought mine already dialed in from a multi-time district 36 enduro champ. It is like a magazine project bike as far as trick goodies. I LOVE this bike in the woods.

Check out The Garage tab above for a full list of mods. Mine is near the bottom of page 1.

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
xsnrg said:
There's an option you can buy for around $2,000. It's called a used KDX220. Keep the CR for track days.

I bought that option last year, but it made my suspension bottom out and my top end disappear. Oh, wait I see what your saying.............. :)

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
I've owned and loved my CR's, but for woods work, there is no amount of $$$ I could have spent to make it work like my EXC's for the woods. Trust me on this, my 01 and 02 (the 02 CR 265 had more bling on it than many nat level bikes...to the tune of about 6-7K in mods)...anyway they were totally transformed into woods machines, but never as smooth, plush and woods oriented as this 05 EXC or even my 02 EXC. Better than any Japanese offering I had ever spent time on (converted KX, RM and YZ 250's, a 98 CRE w/ conventional forks...that bike was about the best Japanese offering) but still nowhere near a 250EXC.

Oh and I can hear the Honda owners now, I used to say the same things, but I'm old enough now I spend my coin w/ what works (after spending mucho $$$ and thinking I could make them work as well). Take it for what its worth.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I've also heard rave reviews about the '05 250e/xc, but have not ridden one yet.

Did ride an '02 250 exc with over $1,000 of suspension work - IMO it was equally effective to my much modded '99 CR for offroad (mine had better low end; the KTM had more top end; both had comparable suspension). Both great bikes.

The owner of the '02, Angry Jim, has an '05 250 exc now and he says it is much better than his '02.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
mtk said:
A KTM EXC isn't a KDX.

didn't hear anybody claiming so...

yeah DBDave, the 05 is something pretty incredible, might be one of those years worth holding on to, then again the mags might wait for the 06's and claim it all obsolete :coocoo:

regardless, I am pretty much done w/ trying to convert MX bikes, unless I lived out west...and speaking of KDX's, I've seen plenty of KDX's absolutely smoke people in the nasty tight woods

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
CR Swade said:
didn't hear anybody claiming so...

The guy who noted the "$2000 option" above in response to the original "CR Woods Mods" question.

My point was, the guy asked for suggestions on mods to his CR to make it more woods-friendly. Waxing poetic about KDXs and KTM EXCs is of no use to him whatsoever.

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
...and I apologize. I am not normally prone to posts like that. Don't know what got into me. I personally would do what I suggested...buy a woods bike instead of spending a lot of cash to try to make one out of an MX bike. But, normally I just read those posts and shake my head rather than giving them an offbeat answer they did not ask for.

I think CR Swade would be the first to tell you (assuming he paid at least 5k for the stock 02CR250) that he's never going get $11k-$12k out of that bike to see his money back on those mods. Maybe money is not a factor for some. Either way, I'll try harder to exercise restraint.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
mtk said:
The guy who noted the "$2000 option" above in response to the original "CR Woods Mods" question.

My point was, the guy asked for suggestions on mods to his CR to make it more woods-friendly. Waxing poetic about KDXs and KTM EXCs is of no use to him whatsoever.

Geez, lighten up...xsnrg was trying to be a little lighthearted in his honest attempt to say what I was saying more directly.

The CR will never be a good canidate for sinking $$$ into for a true blue woods bike...much akin to asking "what MX mods can I do to my KDX for supercross". Yeah, ulitamtely I guess it could be done w/ much cash and infusion of parts, but why would you?

Top Bottom