Joe_148

Mar 13, 2004
Hey guys, I rode for the first time this year on Friday at an indoor arenacross style track in Ontario. When I got back I was looking over the bike and noticed oily dirt underneath the case near the back and then all around the sprocket and on top of the gear shifter. I took off the sprocket and it appears the seal at the countershaft is leaking. Now before I went I did a quick oil change and didnt bother checking the oil check screw because no matter how much oil I put in it always indicates too much by flowing out so I have gotten into the habit of skipping that step. My question is, can having too much oil in the crankcase cause it to seap past the seal? Now that I think about it maybe the oil around the shifter seal is actually leaking from there as well. The bike is an 05 and I maintain it religiously, maybe the seal is gone but it seems kind of early for it to be signing off, I have maybe 50-60 hours on the bike but that is just a rough guess. What is the procedure for replacing that seal, do the cases have to be split? Thanks guys.

PS: I did do a search but couldnt find the answer I was looking for.

earl pittz

Uhhh...
Mar 9, 2007
That's strange for a bike that new to need seals. :| Could there be some debris that got caught inbetween the seal and the kickstarter shaft, that would cause it to leak. If not I guess you just need some new seals. You do have to take the sidecover off to take the seal out. You can not get it off with the shaft going through it. One thought that is very unlikely is that the gasket blew between the crankcase and the flywheel, causing the oil to be compressed out through the seals. :think: Meybe thats why the shifter and kickstarter are both leaking

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Yes, it is possible for an overfilled tranny/clutch case to cause oil to be puked out the seals. A little over won't do it, but way too much will.

Damage to the seal is another possibility, and normally the cause, but if both your shifter and countershaft seal are gone, it is somewhat suspicious, they normally don't blow both at once without other issues. The cases leaking and pressurizing the tranny/clutch case is one possibility here.

The shifter and countershaft seals can both be replaced with a seal pick to pull them out, and then drive a new one in with a socket or seal driver, being careful to clean things well and not damage the new seal. The only things that need to be removed are the sprocket and shifter, to gain access to the seals.

Top Bottom