490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
It looks like oil is leaking from the countershaft on my 08' Honda 450R. Never had this prob before so i assume there is an oil seal or O-ring behind the sproket thats leaking. Is this a DIY repair, if so how big a job is it to repair?

THANKS!
Dave

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
It is a very easy repair. Remove your chain and front sprocket, pull the spacer sleave of the counter shaft (might be slightly rusted in place). Take a small hook or dental pick and remove the old O-ring from the counter shaft. Make sure the countershaft is clean, and install a new O-ring. Next, remove the old oil seal from the casing, and install a new one. Clean the spacer well, put some oil on the inside and outside surfaces of the spacer, and re-install it. Put your chain and sprocket back on and you should be good to go.

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
OK, so there is an o-ring and a seal and both should be replaced......? Where is the best place to order OEM? my last dealer order took 9 days to come in :|

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Service Honda, you are on the pc, price them out? Watch installation, most parts are 1 way only. If the collar has a ridge where the seal rides, replace it also. Almost nobody stocks parts in house. There are 2 different warehouses, 1 next day parts, 1 @ 3 days. Business days of course.

Top Bottom