toma252127

May 19, 2009
hi i have a 1997 cr125 with a problem

it starts first time and revs fine but wont idle but when i put it in gear it wont accelerate it just goes at minium speed

ive adjusted the screw on the carb and put new spark plug into it

it worked fine a last year but havent rode it since untill now but it starts perfectly im lost on what it could be

can anyone please help me

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I'd take the carb apart and clean thoroughly, including the jets. Make sure your gas is fresh and flowing from the petcock well. Also make sure gas tank vent line is free. And clean your air filter if it needs it. I've heard of mice making a winter home in air filters, which isn't pretty.

toma252127

May 19, 2009
hi thanks for your reply ive checked the air filter and its clean and ive taken the carb apart and cleaned it but still no joy. it has fresh fuel aswell which has a mix of 24:1
is there any other idea what it could be?

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
24:1 isn't going to cause problems. Changing to 32:1 isn't going to fix your problem. Check powervalve and reeds. Powervalve may be sticking or reeds may be brittle or broken.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Is it loading up and not moving? Have you ever replaced the, float valve, reeds or packing? Assuming the top and bottom end is with in spec? Is the pipe clear? And the power valve needs to operate freely. Did you check the gap on the plug? Has it ever been jetted?

GarbatyA4

Sep 4, 2008
2strokerfun said:
24:1 isn't going to cause problems. Changing to 32:1 isn't going to fix your problem. Check powervalve and reeds. Powervalve may be sticking or reeds may be brittle or broken.

I'd check powervalve and reeds aswell.

Most likely powervalve is sticking. I'm willing to put lunch on it :)

Because of the 24:1 oil mix :yikes:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
GarbatyA4 said:
I'd check powervalve and reeds aswell.

Most likely powervalve is sticking. I'm willing to put lunch on it :)

Because of the 24:1 oil mix :yikes:
You would get pretty broke from buying lunch, unless its crow? That oil ratio has absolutely nothing to do with a sticky power valve, nada, zip! I know a tuner who recommends higher oil ratio's on the smaller bores, 20:1 no less. Motor, reeds, packing, and electrics in spec, jetted to whatever ratio. It will run spooge free. Lugging the motor, crappy premix, or some mechanical issue causes spooge, fouling plugs, and more bizarre "figured" techniques than I can shake a stick at. Like the first thing they come up with is, "run amsoil dominator at 100:1, it says so on the bottle"?

slodad

Sep 4, 2005
toma252127 said:
hi i have a 1997 cr125 with a problem

it starts first time and revs fine but wont idle but when i put it in gear it wont accelerate it just goes at minium speed

...it worked fine a last year but havent rode it since untill now but it starts perfectly im lost on what it could be
So it revs OK when in neutral, but not when in gear? Do you start it with the choke on? Do you turn off the choke before you start to ride? Do you let it warm up for a minute or two before riding?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom