weav6385

Dec 19, 2009
Hey guys I have owned bikes and ATVs my whole life so I'm not new to it by any means. However I bought a 96 CR125 that needed a new top end. I did that as well as new plastics, pipe, silencer, airbox, jet kit, graphics, sprockets, and brakes. I also changed the oil and replaced it with straight 80 weight gear oil. The problem is that when I start the bike in neutral it runs great. When i then click into gear with no gas it stalls. I can give it some gas while switching into gear and it stays running but wants to jump forward. Also I cannot have the bike in gear and push it around with the clutch in. I dont think this is a bad clutch because it doesnt slip one bit. I cannot kick it over in gear either it just spins the rear tire. Anyone have any idea? Havnt really adjusted the cable yet as I havnt had time. Could it be the oil is to thick? Thanks in advance!

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
Does it do it when the motor is warm?
How does the clutch basket look? Notched?
You haven't even tried adjustng the cable yet, so how do you know that you are fully disengaging the clutch?

kx2502009

Nov 1, 2009
are you using gear oil for cars because motorcycle gear oil is way thinner and the extra thickness of the oil can cause a clutch to not disengauge but only other thing is the clutch basket has grooves wore

weav6385

Dec 19, 2009
I am not sure that its not the cable. I will try tomorrow. Yes I used reg gear oil. I just wanted some comments for tomorrow so I know of some things to look for

weav6385

Dec 19, 2009
I think I will go out and pull off the cover and look for anything funny first. I would like to know the condition of the clutches anyhow. Then I will put a thinner weight oil. What do you think? Everyone has a different opinion 10w30, gear oil, trans fluid?

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
I am curious to see if it does it when the bike and oil is warm.
Check the clutch basket for notches from the clutch plates, that will make for a sticking clutch.
Hell I would try adjusting the cable too, but checking out the condition of the clutches and basket is a good idea anyways.

Good luck

weav6385

Dec 19, 2009
Thanks for the replys. This morning I took the clutch apart and cleaned everything out really good. One plate looks like it could use replacing. It was the closest to the cover so I put it in the middle of the pack. Other than that there were no groves or notches. I tried kicking the bike over again in gear with the clutch in before changing the oil and I wouldnt do it. I cleaned everything and put back together then replaced the oil with Royal Purple synthetic 10w30 and now I can kick it over without the tire turning. Couldnt start it yet as it will piss off my neighbors at 8:00am. I am going out now to give it a try. Thanks for the replys.

weav6385

Dec 19, 2009
Ok just rode the bike and its doing the same thing. Even if I adjust the clutch all the way in or out. The cable fully disengages the clutch plates. What is going on here? I dont see how a worn clutch could cause this. Any info would be apreciated.

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
I guess it just depends on the bike. I know my buddies bike does the same as yours, his is a 96' RR125 though. We have tried different fluids, adjusting the clutch cable where it should be.... nothing really worked.

Just might have to get used to rapin the throttle a little when putting it in gear to keep it from stalling... dang 2 strokes :-)

But I am a newbie, so wait untill others chime in... like that one guy who goes on and on about random stuff when he talks hahahaha Whenfoxforksruled I think :nener: . Great guys on this board, they know there stuff. I have learned so much from these ol' geesers :nener: :laugh:

weav6385

Dec 19, 2009
I think its probably going to be warped clutch plates. If the cable doesnt help I will try to step down the oil thickness again and if its not that replace the clutch.

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
I don't think the oil thickness if your problem. It could be warped clutch plates. I mean what else could there possible be??? You have checked almost everything else. Spend the $40 and replace the clutch. Let us know if it does it still after that.

weav6385

Dec 19, 2009
Yah I'm out of state right now for xmas so I wont be home till Jan. 2nd to mess with it. I will have so many things waiting for it at my doorstep when I get home. It will be like Christmas all over again. I'm going to try the clutch cable first cause it is adjusted all the way out. Is there an adjustment in the case anywhere? I dont recall there being one.

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
If its anything like my 89' CR125, then as far as I know...no. I don't think there is any internal adjuster.

weav6385

Dec 19, 2009
I didnt think so. But thanks. God I hate stupid problems. At least when it blows up you know what it is! knock knock

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
dont jynx yourself. :nod:

Maybe you have bad blinker fluid?

I bet $.25 that the clutch is warped of some sort, and that replacing it will help. I am waiting to hear though, because my friends bike is doing the same, and if it helps you I might make him order a new clutch.

weav6385

Dec 19, 2009
I checked the blinker fluid and it looks fine. haha. I will def. let ya know how I resolve this one way or another but I am in Michigan until the 2nd. I think many peoples bikes are having this problem. But no one has found the answer. Then again no one has replaced the clutch or cable so we will see.

weav6385

Dec 19, 2009
Is it ok if I just replace the friction plates or must I replace all of the clutch components? I'm not usually one to half ass things but the other plates look brand new. I suppose those are what a warped.

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
Just replace them all, a clutch kit isn't that much anyways. last thing I would want to do is go through all the hassle and have seal it back up and add fluids, just to drain them again and have to get another gasket and do more clutch work.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
It will probably cost you more to buy half the plates as you'll likely have to buy Honda parts. A Tusk kit with all the plates is about 40 bucks I think.

weav6385

Dec 19, 2009
Has anyone ever had luck with a Tusk kit? Is it worth the money to buy a better one? If it lasts me a year I would be happy.

drrm123

Nov 6, 2009
You can check clutch plates by laying on a flat surface and run feeler gauge in between. Sound like the oil you used caused clutch material to swell. Check with honda dealer for oil used in that bike or get service manual. I dont recall any bikes ever using that weight gear oil in clutch assembly. You could try cleaning disc in kerosene, but they may need to be replaced.

Top Bottom