BlackRaptor

Mar 30, 2004
Hey guys, Well spring is almost here and boy oh boy am i getting the itch to ride. top end kits come in friday as well as new rubber and some other goodies. Can't wait to get out there.

Anyways, this question has nothing to do with all that.
Friend of mine wants to get a CR250 for riding trails and dunes in Oregon but he doesn't want to trailer it so i have two questions.

One. Who makes a kit for the CR250 so you can run it on the road? Like lights and what not.

Two. Is this even a good idea to start with? Will a high strung 250 even take to over the road travel very well or will he be eating top ends like it's going out of style?

Thanks for the help guys. :)

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
A few problems that you will run into:

1. The gas mileage won't be very good, and the stock tank is very small. Filling up at stations will require premix on hand. You won't be making it over 40-50 miles at best.

2. Any tire that runs well on the street will not work well in the sand, and vice versa.

3. In order to keep your engine from wearing out extremely fast at highway speeds, you will need to gear the bike up probably one tooth on the front sprocket.

My advice is, that it's not worth it!!!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
www.elineaccessories offers 'multi-sport' kits.

Is it a good idea? Depends on his needs and expectations. The CR gearbox has far from optimal ratios for street. It will be screaming to sustain 60 mph, but if you gear it for 60+mph highway cruising you will struggle on tight trails.

A big problem with a 'high strung' two stroke street bike is rolling off the throttle after sustained high speed running. If you don't pull in the clutch, the hot motor will be deprived of cooling fuel and lubricating oil. It can get ugly in a hurry (mine needed a crank assembly and one crankcase half when I rolled out of the throttle after about 2 miles of WFO on a road).

CRTAILLIGHT

Mar 9, 2005
I have a 97 CR that is street legal. I used mainly E-Line Kit (stator, lights, brake switch, fatty pipe and cobra spark arrestor with a few additions. Heavier flywheel weight, mirror, bicycle horn and Kenda Trackmaster dot tires. Very aggessive knobby tires. Sizes run small so order one size bigger if possible. I ride dirt roads only from trial to trial. As for riding 60 mph on a CR250 on pavement - I don't think that is a good idea.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
It would be cool to ride through town, but to use it as a freeway vehicle would be ludacris!

BDN CR500

Dec 13, 2005
Cr250 Dual Sport

I have a 1995 CR500 dual sport. The company you want to call is BAJA DESIGNS

They will set you up with an E-line style coil (200watts) lights and everything.

You will need to check if its legal in your area 1st

Also check out the Acerbis DHH headlight & Baja Designs LED tail light

PS a 250 wouldnt really be that great of a dual sport on the street. . . but?

Arock

Sep 20, 2005
In my opinion for a casual trail /rec rider having a street legal outfit is the way to go!
I live in southern utah and I can save on average a half hour to an hour by riding my bike to the trail and not loading and unloading. It may not seem possible to save that much time, but trust me when ever i go with other people I am constantly waiting for them to get the truck loaded, get fueled up, unload bikes, get dressed, let the bike warm up. Then when you head home it starts all over again. It so nice to throw on your gear at your house, ride, get home, hose down your bike, take off your gear and shower. It makes it that much easier to get a ride in. And do bike maintenence.
So in a nut shell I think it is a good idea.
Keep in mind though that any kit you add will be more weight on your bike.
A great bike for street and trail is the crf 450x
Comes with head and tail light stock, raps out at about 80, plus plenty of low end for trails and dunes. It is heavier than a cr 250 by at least 40 lbs though.

Skuta

Jan 31, 2006
Who cares about not being able to sustain highway speeds. Just to be able to run up and down the street on your dirtbike without a cop hasseling you is worth the dual sport kit.

Just think about being able to turn an errand into an adventure cause your on your dirtbike. :cool:

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
Skuta said:
Who cares about not being able to sustain highway speeds. Just to be able to run up and down the street on your dirtbike without a cop hasseling you is worth the dual sport kit.

Just think about being able to turn an errand into an adventure cause your on your dirtbike. :cool:

Like when you inform a cop that your packin' a pistol and after he takes it and run's the numbers and checks you permit...He has to give it back!!... :cool:

As far as adventure...I thought I already had too many excuses to leave the house... :aj:

Good call

Crazy

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom