Crankshaft gasket question.......

Fatherof2

May 17, 2009
Hello All,

I recently bought a 97 KDX 200. It needs a new crankshaft gasket. I am in the process of installing it. I removed the right side engine cover, and now need to remove the clutch basket. Where can I get a tool to hold the basket while I remove the bolt? Any idea how much one is?

Lastly, I removed the right side engine cover, and then decided to make sure that I could put it back on. I have been unable to get the cover flush with the engine. What the heck am I doing wrong? I just took it off, why the hell cant I put it flush up against the engine?

Thank you very much for any input guys,

David

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
you can get a clutch holding tool.
some people just use an impact wrench with good success.

for the aligment of the case there is probably some dowel pin missing.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
What do you mean by crankshaft gasket? There are crank shaft oil seals, but no gasket.

To remove the clutch hub nut, I just pick a high gear while the bike is on a stand, and stick a fat screwdriver or punch through one of the sprocket holes and let it stop against the swingarm. Not the best method to use, but it works in a pinch. Be careful not to bend any spokes.

Fatherof2

May 17, 2009
JD,

Thanks for your input.

Yes I meant to say the crankshaft seal. I have to pull the clutch basket, and have never done that before. I just dont want to screw anything up.

Thanks again,

David

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Um, you also have to split the engine cases. This is a pretty involved job, since the crank and main bearings are pressed in from the inside. There is no way for you to replace the seals from the outside.

This means removing the clutch, shift shaft, flywheel, stator, all other bits and pieces, pulling the motor from the bike and splitting the crank case halves.

Fatherof2

May 17, 2009
JD,

Are you sure about splitting the case? I have it on pretty good authority that I can access the thing once I get the basket off. Are you 100% sure that I cant?

I was burning lots of tranny oil. My understanding was that the tranny oil was getting in via the bad crankshaft seal. A common problem I am told.

If I have to split the case, I think I am going to lose it!

:bang:

Best,

David

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
I am 100% sure the cases have to be split to change the crankcase seals. Kawabond 5 is used to seal the halves back together.

Motion Pro makes a clutch holding tool.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Yep, I'll second that. 100% sure. I just finished doing mine. It wasn't horrible, but not fun either. And if you're going that far, new main bearings, new transmission bearings, and a new rod kit wouldn't be a bad idea. If the seals are shot, it is most likely that the main bearings are in a bad way also.

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
:O
damn, the seal are pressed from the inside on these bike?
on my yz crank/bearing is pressed from the inside but the seal are pressed from the outside, they can be removed with 1 or 2 little trick without splitting the case(a screw, or a drill bit and some wire) but it is not recommend.

Fatherof2

May 17, 2009
Damn......

So what is the deal here? Do I have to pull the engine from the bike? I have never done anything like this before. How many hours of labor are we talking here? I am so bummed out. Any idea what a shop would charge? Is there ANY shot that I could fix it without pulling the engine?
God I am bummed.
:(

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
There is no chance of fixing it without pulling the engine. Getting the engine out is the easy part. You can use a steering wheel puller and a little heat to get the cases split. It's really not all that bad if you just decide to go ahead and do it. Lots of info around on it, and I'd be happy to help you out when you get the that point.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
For some reason, Kawasaki seals are installed from the crank side..

I hate Kawasaki 2 strokes for that reason. Maybe the engineers were afraid they'd blow the seals out if they made them to be installed from the outside, like everyone else does it.

Pay attention to what Julien is telling you, he's dead on.

It's not an overly difficult job, just a pain in the butt.

And if you haven't yet, go ahead and spring for the 20 bucks or so for the motion pro clutch holder tool. It's worth every penny.

Get a service manual.. It's invaluable!

Last edited:

Fatherof2

May 17, 2009
Hi Guys,

Can anyone reccomend a good manuel? I have the one that came with the bike, but it lacks the detail I need.

If I take the engine out, and take it to a guy I know that charges 50 bucks an hour, can anyone ballpark me on how many hours the job might take?

Thanks gang,

David

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Fatherof2 said:
Hi Guys,

Can anyone reccomend a good manuel? I have the one that came with the bike, but it lacks the detail I need.

If I take the engine out, and take it to a guy I know that charges 50 bucks an hour, can anyone ballpark me on how many hours the job might take?

Thanks gang,

David

you should be able to find a fairly cheap manual at repairmanuals.com..

You want the Factory Service Manual. That will give you the detail you are looking for.

Seriously, if you have the manual, this isn't a difficult job at all. Just make sure you pay attention to what you're doing and make sure you have a clean work area. Plus if you are forgetful like I am, take pictures along the way to remind you what things look like as you take them apart so that you have an idea what it should look like as it goes back together.

Top Bottom