_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The head porting is different. You should use the "r" head too. 07 is supposed to be better than the 06. You could probly have Eric port your stock head to match the cam profile. What are you running for exhaust?

fmfdude28

Aug 4, 2007
_JOE_ said:
The head porting is different. You should use the "r" head too. 07 is supposed to be better than the 06. You could probly have Eric port your stock head to match the cam profile. What are you running for exhaust?

I am running a fmf Titanium 4

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I'm having the stage 1 hot cam along with the R piston installed as I write this. I also plan on putting on a Q4 pipe and head pipe soon. The valves will have to be shimmed if the cam is installed and the carb will need rejetting. I plan on doing a ride report as soon as I get it back so I'll post it and let you know how it runs.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
a454elk said:
I plan on doing a ride report as soon as I get it back so I'll post it and let you know how it runs.

If you ever get it back. ;) :laugh: :nener:

fmfdude28

Aug 4, 2007
a454elk said:
I'm having the stage 1 hot cam along with the R piston installed as I write this. I also plan on putting on a Q4 pipe and head pipe soon. The valves will have to be shimmed if the cam is installed and the carb will need rejetting. I plan on doing a ride report as soon as I get it back so I'll post it and let you know how it runs.

alright sounds good

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Ol'89r said:
If you ever get it back. ;) :laugh: :nener:

Foolish old man, get back to work on my bike damnit!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
a454elk said:
Foolish old man, get back to work on my bike damnit!
Carlo, it's good to see you on the boards more often. Takin' it and dishin' out. :)

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
a454elk said:
I don't get it. :think:
Why didn't you just buy a 450 in the first place?

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
OldTimer said:
I don't get it. :think:
Why didn't you just buy a 450 in the first place?
Taking a smaller 250 framed machine and pumpin' up the juice can be alot of fun, most ppl agree that the bigger bore 450's can produce more felt motor inertia being a bit more to handle.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I had a 450 and I loved it but it tired me out quite a bit. I found I was able to ride the 250 at a higher level and stay with guys on 450s because it was so easy to ride. The only thing I missed was the low end torque. Don't get me wrong, I like a 450 but I really didn't need one just because everyone else has one. They have their place no doubt, but I felt the 250 would be just fine for what I needed. I just wanted to bump up the lower end torque a bit while keeping the same weight bike. And actually, I could beat 89er on a crf50 if the need arises. ;)

Thanks Brian, I love you too you fruity fool.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
a454elk said:
They have their place no doubt, And actually, I could beat 89er on a crf50 if the need arises. ;)

:laugh: HA! I laugh in your general direction. :rotfl:

Poor deluded fool. :coocoo:

As much as I hate to agree with elk, he's right. Not about the beating me part but about each bike having it's place. I love my 450 in the desert where you can carve through the pucker bushes effortlessly or climb any hill that you point it at. In GP racing the 450 is the only way to go and on most large outdoor tracks they are hard to beat. On fireroads they just flat make you giggle.

But, in the tight stuff, they are a handful. The last time we went up to Phelan and rode the manzanita trail, a tight little trail that winds through thick manzanita bushes, I had a hard time staying ahead of elk on his 250x. (Please don't tell him that.) My 450 felt about a foot longer than it actually was and I was spending more time getting it stopped for the corners than anything else. I still beat him as usual but I had to work at it a little. :nener:

You have to look at where you ride and determine which bike is best for you. They both have their place.

fmfdude28.
I would recommend a stage 1 cam and a 'R' high compression piston as a start. The cylinder head on the 'X' is considerably different than the 'R' head and will not flow as good but you will have a noticeable power increase by doing just the cam and piston and proper jetting. You will also need to unplug your airbox by removing the baffle on the top of the air box and remove the little inserts on the side covers unless you ride in a lot of high water conditions. Also, remove the little insert from your muffler. Be sure you have someone that understands how to degree a camshaft and clearance the piston install your cam and piston. Many people just slap a cam and piston in there and hope for the best, but for the ultimate performance from your cam, have it degreed.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Blah Blah old fart. You've taken way too many breaks, I'm about to fire you if you don't get back to work on my bike. Don't make me rough you up again.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
a454elk said:
Blah Blah old fart. You've taken way too many breaks, I'm about to fire you if you don't get back to work on my bike.

DAMN right Elky, you tell him!!

I think you should go straight over to 89r's shop fire him and get your stuff back.

Think of the fun you'll have sitting in your garage with your engine in 16 different boxes making motorcycle sounds and telling the neighborhood kids how you didn't take any crap from that lazy Ol89r. :whoa:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Quiet fool, don't you have snow to shovel! Don't tempt me mister, I'm a crafted engynear that can put ne motor back togeter.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
I think you should go straight over to 89r's shop fire him and get your stuff back.
:whoa:

Give me another day or two. I still have some more stickers to apply. ;) :rotfl:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Ol'89r said:
Give me another day or two. I still have some more stickers to apply. ;) :rotfl:

... and some more "spare parts" to throw in the boxes to make re-assembly more interesting. :p

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
... and some more "spare parts" to throw in the boxes to make re-assembly more interesting. :p

Dayum. Good idea Rich. :cool: I got a whole bunch of old Triumph parts I could throw in there. He would never know the difference. :laugh: Dang....Where do all these cam gears go??????? ;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Ol'89r said:
Dayum. Good idea Rich. :cool: I got a whole bunch of old Triumph parts I could throw in there. He would never know the difference. :laugh: Dang....Where do all these cam gears go??????? ;)

My guess is he'll lose interest quickly, toss the boxes in the nearest dumpster, make the spare Triumph gears into some striking ear rings for himself and his life partner and eventually take up needlepoint. :whoa:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Laugh it up you two, my day will come because you BOTH are on the LIST.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
To pass the time as 89r and I are cowering in fear, maybe he should send some of your engine parts to me. Yanno to keep them safe in cold storage, maybe under a bridge somewhere in the hood. ;)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
The two of you couldn't put a lid on a jar together. I have no worries, now go check your frozen sidewalk. I'm gonna go handle the old man, I won't be long...

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
a454elk said:
I'm gonna go handle the old man,

... as a way to pay off part of the bill? :whoa:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
a454elk said:
. I'm gonna go handle the old man,
Ewwwww! :whoa: I can't wait. :yikes:

Here, handle this copper--------------> :moon:

Rich. Actually, his bike has been done for a couple-three weeks now. I've just been having too much fun to give it back to him. :laugh:

Besides, he said to be sure to road test it.

Hey elk, gonna need another rear tire. :ohmy:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom