JST122

Dec 29, 2005
I am considering buying an 06 or 07 CRF 450 and I wanted to poll some current or previous owners on the durability, quality, and routine maintenance on Honda's big bore 4T. Im not looking for general 4T maintenance tips and advice, I currently own a 450 and know what that entails, so I am looking for Honda CRF specific experience.

I have heard that the CRF450's have had some valve durability issues in that they require more frequent adjustment and shorter overall lifespan than the other manufacturers 450's, is this true and approximately how often does this maintenance need to be done? I know what the service manual says so I am not interested in that response, I am looking for real world experience and actual observations from owners.

As far as problems go, what issues have you owners had with your CRF 450's and at approx how many hours did the failure or problem occur?

Has anyone experienced a gasket failure that allowed the engine and transmission oil to mix? If so when did that happen what were the signs?

Any other input is welcomed and thanks in advance.

cthowards

~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2006
I have a 2005 CRF450R. I bought it used in December 2005 with 43 hours on the hour meter and then rode it during 2006 and put an additional 40 hours on it. All of my riding was done once or twice per week at a local MX track. In December 2006 I went through it in great detail and here's what I replaced:

1. Piston and rings - the bike ran great but I decided to replace the top end anyways. The cylinder and existing piston and rings were in great shape. The cross hatch was still on the cylinder walls.

2. Valves, springs, seals, etc. - I replaced the stock titanium valves with Kibblewhite stainless steal and the Kibblewhite springs. The existing valves were in good shape and could have gone longer...but I was not willing to take the chance.

3. Replaced the cam chain tensioner although existing seem fine.

4. Replaced front and rear wheel bearings. The rear bearings were seized up so I replaced both to be safe.

5. Replaced the lower rear shock bearing - it was in bad shape. All other bearings (shock linkage, swingarm, steering head) were taken apart, cleaned and reinstalled as they were in good shape.

6. Replace the rims and spokes. For some reason, many of the spokes were seized up when I got the bike. I couldn't get some the spokes to tighten and had several flat tires so I replaced the rims and used Buchanan heavy duty spokes.

7. The kickstarter link broke (the part that attaches to the spline) and had to be replaced.

Other than that, the bikes has and continues to run very strong and is very reliable. The only parts I added were a chain and sprocket set (one set per year), a set of bars because I crashed hard and bent them, a stainless steel oil filter, and a White Brothers exhaust (stock wine still fine but had some bad dents).

cthowards

~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2006
To answer your other questions:

During the 80 hours of use, I checked the valves twice and they were in spec both times.

I change the oil and clean the oil filter every 2 - 3 hours.

I have had no gasket failures.

Overall, the bike is very easy to maintain and work on and is very reliable. Always starts right up and runs smooth. Also, the quality of the parts is great as I have never broken a bolt or stripped anything.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
cthowards, thank you very much that is exactly the type of input I was looking for. I am really leaning towards buying the 07 CRF 450 and your input helps alot. Thanks again.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
If you do a quick search you'll find a number of CRF450 owners have documented their experiences out here. Bottom line it's a great bike that requires more maintenance than the old XRs, but not so much as to be burdensome for the vast majority of riders. I bought mine new in 2002 and have never regretted it. It's the best MX bike I've ever owned.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
No not the extra gear. I ride solely MX with my KXF so 5th isnt really necessary, heck there are only a couple of tracks where 4th is even useful it is primarily 2nd and 3rd. I am looking at switching brands because I have had a lot of bad luck with my Kawasaki. I have a couple of buddies who own them and have had much better luck, but I have had one problem after another and several reoccuring problems. Kawasaki has been a very stand up company in that despite having no warranty on MX bikes they have so far paid for the labor and parts on all of my problems, but it has gotten to the point now where it is just too much, I am fed up and have lost way too much riding time. It is time for a change.

cthowards

~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2006
I forgot to mention this, but if you go to the members gallary I have posted some pictures of the rebuild.

I don't think you can go wrong with the CRF450R.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
cthowards said:
I forgot to mention this, but if you go to the members gallary I have posted some pictures of the rebuild.

Thanks Ill check out the pictures.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
cthowards is that the hardline hour meter you have installed on your bike in the photo? I was considering buying one of those. Do you have it installed with the hardware or just the peel and stick method? From the description I have seen online it says you can "peel and stick, no wiring necessary or attach with enclosed hardware". Is it easy to install, I have never used one?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
cthowards said:

Are you saying your 4-T didn't cost 1,000 a year to maintain? Surely it did. :debil:

cthowards

~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2006
JST122 - Yes, that is the Hardline hour and tach meter. I had a SenDEC prior to that (I believe the Hardline is made by SenDEC) and it died at hour 74 or so. The SenDEC was also mounted with Velcro and I never had a problem with it falling off, etc. The Hardline is very easy to attach - just wrap the wire from the meter around the plug wire 4 - 5 times, tie it off with a tywrap and your done. When running it shows RPMs and when not running it shows the hours.

As for the cost of the rebuild, I posted a thread on this and it may not be as bad as you think. If you are willing to do some of the work yourself and look for deals on the parts, you can save money. I am an accountant and I was able to do most of the rebuild myself... Now that it is done with the Kibblewhite parts, I am expecting the valve train to last more the 2 years I got on the stock valve train which will bring the cost per year to an all new low!. The previous thread is here http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=144085

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
cthowards, thanks for taking the time to provide me with your experience and all of the information I appreciate it. I think I am going to give the Honda a go, its time for a change anyway. Thanks again.

brian2372

Sep 12, 2005
i am also thinking about the 07 crf 450 .i race a cr 250 right now in hairscrambles and ride around 200-400+ hrs a year. i love the power of the 450 but the matenece is what scares me .i like both 2 and 4 strks. but my finances are stretched.i spend around $2000 a year not counting gas and i am wondering how that compares? i am also wondering if i can swap stuff off the cr 250 like rear wheel, bar mounts ,shark fin,ect?any advice is appreciated

crf192

Apr 26, 2005
I've have my 04 crf 450 for 3 years and still running strong, and i'm not even a big honda fan. They are great for MX or SX and even woods with a few mods.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
mrliquid said:
Wait....! My CRF450 has more than 3 gears???? ;) I don't go straight long enough to get above 3rd....

Ain't 3rd gear sweeeeet? :nod: :nod:

450X

Test It!!!
Mar 25, 2007
mods for the woods probably include a bigger rear sprocket or a smaller front sprocket, to slow that monster down, these 450s are wickedly fast!

Top Bottom